Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what bass is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ugo, Feb 20, 2006.

1. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    Sound Design Coordinator, Camel Audio | Designer, Ugo Audio
    while browsing through google video, i ran into this:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7398618133881847103&q=bass

the bass can switch between fretted and fretless at the flip of a switch...not virtually...literally. i've thought about stuff like this for years, but someone has actually built it. however, i've no idea what luthier did it and im quite curious. they dont show the headstock clearly in the video either.

anyone heard of this?
    i apologize if this has come up before, but its certainly new to me.

thanks for the info,
    -ugo

2. i for one am very skeptical......

3. This has come up before indeed. I am also skeptical of it. The sound of it in the video is pretty good, but after seeing the price it seems to be something I'll never own. I'd kind of just rather have a really nice fretted and really nice fretless, rather than a pretty good in between one.

4. stingray5bbx

stingray5bbx

Feb 11, 2005
    yea.. i'm guessing the fret job in each position isn't perfect, but VERY COOL!

5. It has indeed been posted several times beforehand.

http://mikeyguitar.com/index.asp

bit to steep for just a cool innovation, but as its been stated before, you can get a very decent fretted and fretless for the price

6. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    Lol just posted the same thing last night and got scolded for reposting it... cool idea....bad price

7. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    thanks for the replies (and sorry for bringing up something thats been discussed several times before.) i agree about the price. while i think its a cool idea, i'd rather have a two nice basses than just this one. if the neck alone was available for a decent price, it could have made for a fun custom project.

then again upon further thought, while i could see it playing quite well at first, i cant help but wonder about the repair hassles as the fretless side wears down. (and probably unevenly since the wood will wear faster than the metal.)

-ugo

8. Hey Ugo, didn't know you were on TalkBass too! :)

- Gregjazz

9. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    I dunno, the price isn't too horrible, considering how well-designed and useful the feature is. Of course, you could buy two really good basses, one fretted and one fretless, for that price, but still, imagine being able to switch in a fraction of a second and not have to fuss with tone or anything . . . if I had the cash, I would so get one. The bass is also very good-looking, in my opinion.

10. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    :)
    im not here all that often (hence my bringing up an old subject) because i cant keep track of threads on too many forums at once, but i do drop by from time to time.

-ugo

11. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I'm a little skeptical too, but if it sounds like it does in the video and actually works good, I want one!