1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What bass is this????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by djc, Aug 2, 2007.

1. djc

djc

May 21, 2006
    Hey all,
    I am a freak when it comes to inquiry about a certain bass, so please bear with me. If you go to youtube.com and type in sir duke, watch the top very first live performance of this. I know the bassist is Nate Watts, but that bass he uses is unidentified. If you watch the whole song, the headstock and body are constantly shown. I cant figure out what it is, unless it is custom made. It looks like a cross between a fender and aria pro II, but this is driving me crazy. Thanx for your help.

2. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    yup its an alleva coppolo

3. djc

djc

May 21, 2006
    Hey,
    I am not saying I dont believe you, but are you sure you are watching the same video? This bass has a humbucker and jazz pup and is red. Unless this is custom made and old, it looks nothing like the basses shown on the Alleva website. Those basses closely resemble J basses, and this one looks totally different. I could be wrong.

4. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
  5. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    Yeah that is the gr33. My bad.make sure and pay attention at 1:03. there is a pretty cool shot from a camera attached to Nathan's headstock.

6. djc

djc

May 21, 2006
    Wow,
    I cant believe it! Thanx for the info...Is that g33 for sale at 895?

7. WarwickFan412

WarwickFan412

Jul 1, 2007
    the only way to describe that tone is; bitchin'

8. Oh...I guess you are right. Well, it is definitely an Alleva Coppolo neck. He must have just switched them out.

9. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    That bass is a thru-neck. Anyway, if you pause that video at 1:02, you can see the Roland logo on the headstock. Nathan plays Aleva-Coppollo basses nowadays.

10. If I remember correctly, I think Ibanez made these basses for Roland.

aguacollas likes this.
  11. Haha...I just looked again. You have to admit, both look somewhat similar.

12. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    Easy mistake to make, because for some reason Roland put some ornate writing in that logo. I wouldn't mind trying one of those basses. Nate's tone in that clip is kickin'!

I wouldn't be surprised, from what I can gather Ibanez made instruments for quite a few manufacturers. For some reason though, the Roland makes me think of a Yamaha BB2000.

bb2000.