1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What bass is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mrlee192, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Mrlee192

Mrlee192

Mar 2, 2008
    After watching this video i wanted to know what this bass was to try and seek one out to buy.

Now usually Nikki Sixx uses Gibson Thunderbird basses and/or his custom Blackbird model.

However this video was shot in 1989 before he had a custom model. And this bass while having a similar shape and colour to the Thunderbird, definately isnt one. The headstock is different, and you have access to almost all the frets (which is why im interested in this bass, being a thunderbird player)

Any help, and links to where i could buy a bass like this one?

Thanks

2. dominic

dominic

Aug 7, 2005
    Looks like his spector thunderbird he had made.

3. Mrlee192

Mrlee192

Mar 2, 2008
    Ahh so its a custom?

No chance of me buying it off ebay or a website then haha?

4. dominic

dominic

Aug 7, 2005
    I'm not certain if spector ever released them, but they have the rex brown signature which is similar.

5. Mrlee192

Mrlee192

Mar 2, 2008
    ok, thanks for the help man!

6. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Yeah, that's a Spector. I believe they could be special ordered at the time. Spector, Hamer and Jackson were a few of the big name builders who have built T-Birds. I believe all recieved the dreaded 'cease and desist' letter so they're no more.

7. Just think, such a rare and cool bass...to be smashed. Yikes.

8. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    A year or two ago, another one of Nikki's Spectorbirds was sold on ebay. Can't remember how much it went for. There has also been a Fernandes copy of the Spector floating around on the bay. I thought it was funny how they copied a copy right down to the Spector "crown" inlays except it's a bolt-on.

9. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Nikki had 10 of these custom made when Spector was with kramer. I asked spector if they would make one for me and I guess due to legal reasons they cant. PJ at spector told me the one nikki sold on ebay went for around 11k.
    Even though he plays his blackbird live he still uses a spector to record with

10. jacksonguy95

jacksonguy95

Dec 9, 2009
    its a Spector thunderbird Not sure exactly what series it is look on spectors website there bound to have it on there being a spector it could range from 800 to 2000 bucks id rather have it over a gibson tbird