1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What bass is this

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinghy, Mar 19, 2009.

1. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA

And how do I get its tone?

2. Looks and sounds like a P Bass. After further review I do believe it's a Mike Lull P Bass and an Ashdown ABM 900 EVO II.

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1. Played with a pick, possibly through the stack of Ashdown amps next to him.

4. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Any idea about strings or any processing?

5. yngwiewho1

yngwiewho1

Mar 2, 2009
    Tomball, Tx
  6. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
  7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Not sure about the strings, though my first non-expert guess would be nickel rounds. I doubt there's any processing beyond the amp heads and possibly (but not necessarily) some post-production EQ/compression.

8. TheGrizz

TheGrizz

Nov 19, 2007
    Athol, MA
    Sponsored Artist: Free Idea Clothing
    Death Cab video: The bass he is using is a Lakland Bob Glaub Signature. It's not a Mike Lull, though he has used them before. He uses Ashdown amps now, but has used others in the past. It's probably just amp and bass. As for the strings. They are D'addarios, but I'm not sure what guage or type.

9. Yup, defiantly a BG

10. Yep, you're right. It's a Lakland. I checked their website and he uses BG's as well as Mike Lull's.

11. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Hmm, thanks. I have a SX P but I can't make it sound that gritty and amazing. I have MIM pups and Elixir coated strings, should I try something else for that tone?

edit: damn I'm slow. Ok I'll try those strings, should new pups be in order as well?

12. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Do you play with a pick, and does your amp have a tube-overdrive type of tone?

13. Strings would be the first thing to change, since that will have an immediate impact on your tone. Then from there I'd start playing with a pick and tweaking your EQ until you get something like that tone but to be honest a Lakland Bob Glaub is an awesome P bass so you may never be able to get that exact tone out of your MIM P, close maybe but not exactly.

14. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    To me it looks like a Peavey Grind, but I could be wrong as well.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Well, that link doesn't take me to a specific video, it takes me to a search page. If you are talking about the first video, Cover of "Grace", looks like a Peavey Grind BXP. It has an offset body, so it is not a Cirrus, which was mentioned by Grizzly700.

16. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I don't have a tube-like amp at all, just a cheap solid state that sounds very solid state. Very sterile, unfortunately, but I can't afford a tube anything right now. I have been using a pick though.

Strings first it is then, and then find some way past this 2 band EQ on my radioshack, then if that doesn't work... I better start saving up for a Lakland.

17. Or maybe find a nice warm tube overdrive pedal that will get you a little tube growl out of that solid state amp, but yeah, good tone will always cost a little more IME.

18. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Hmm, even if it doesn't get me there I could still find a use for it I bet. Do you have one to recommend?

19. yngwiewho1

yngwiewho1

Mar 2, 2009
    Tomball, Tx
    oops wrong link

20. TheGrizz

TheGrizz

Nov 19, 2007
    Athol, MA
    Sponsored Artist: Free Idea Clothing
    I would try the Electro-Harmonix English Muff'n. You can get a good tubey grind that would help approximate Nick Harmer's tone.