What bass is this?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Oct 30, 2002.

1. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    I Just came back from band rehearsal with a bass in my hand.. well 2, one is my salas and the other one is from my drummer.. he gave it to me.. its a really old bass that was sitting in the attic... it says Gagliano on the headstock.. looks 60's or even 50's... has a Hofner bridge... Hofner type control plate.. made in Western Germany.. Check these pics out

Any help would be great thanks!
  2. Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    Looks like an early Fodera.
  3. BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Hey Mazda........ that is a really DIFFERENT and COOL bass - Who knows, it could be worth millions of dollars and you could sell it and buy any and however many basses you want! - Hope somebody replys that knows something about it, I'm curious myself :D

Is it playable and sound ok?

4. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA

Very cool!! Did a some searching around, couldn't find much except that Hofner made these basses and just put the Gagliano name on the headstock, hence all the Hofner hardware.

Good luck on finding some more info, you may have quite a find, who knows... :eek:

I wish out drummer would find old basses in his house...some people have all the luck

I dig the strings too! ;)
  5. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    nylon strings baby lol
  6. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    oh yeah.. btw.. the scale is like 30".. VERY short.. and the spacing is like VERY narrow.. narrower than my Zon 5..

7. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
  8. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    What does she sound like...WITHOUT the nylons, or havent you changed them :D
  9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I wouldn't be surprised if you could get some great sounds out of it. OTOH I wouldn't be surprised if it sounded like total crap, either. I'd expect the former.
  10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It looks A LOT like a Klira (german 60s brand), especially the head and tuners.
    Actually, your instrument seems like a mix between Klira and Hofner.