1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What bass is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thezho, Jun 11, 2012.

1. thezho

thezho

Jun 11, 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hello, I bought this used kawai bass from a friend and I've looked everywhere to find out what model it is.
    It seems to be impossible to find anything, and I thought that it probably isn't a real model, but maybe just a homemade bass made out of spare parts.
    Anyways, I wonder if it is a real kawai, and if so, does anyone know what model? IMG_3226.jpg IMG_3225.jpg IMG_3226.jpg IMG_3227.jpg IMG_3228.jpg IMG_3229.jpg IMG_3230.jpg IMG_3231.jpg IMG_3232.jpg

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

That string job is pathetic at best. This is from Kawai's website

http://www.kawaius-tsd.com/pages/kawai_bass.html They talk about other transitional models, and they say to contact them if you have questions at the bottom of the page.

I highly doubt it is a parts/project bass, if you're going to fake a brand why Kawai?

3. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't know anything about this bass except that it's so ugly, it's beautiful.

4. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    I've seen a lot of people screw up the string job... leaving tails hanging off, winding it upwards along the tuner, etc... I learned early on to bend the end of the string into the tuner first and then making sure it wraps downwards.

Then again, I recall seeing a post recently from someone who owned a bass worth $1500 but needed to ask for help changing the strings. I see ads online all the time of people saying "recently tuned at ___ store". I check tune every time I pick up a bass....

/rant

That's an interesting looking bass and I'm inclined to think it's a genuine Kawai, but don't know the model. There's no point in making a fake old MIJ that you're only going to get $150 for, when the work put in would be better invested into faking an old Fender or Gibson or something...

5. thezho

thezho

Jun 11, 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I just bought it for $50 and I'm planning on fixing it, I know it's in a really poor condition but I just had to buy it for $50.

6. I remember Kawai making some cool Alembic-style through-necks. Nothing like THAT.

7. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Exactly.

That bass certainly is a genuine Kawai. Not that that means a lot. It's every bit a $50 bass.

8. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    Yup, and even if you pull it out twice a year for some Animals covers or a retro theme wedding, it's worth it... as long as you have the free time too mess with it a little. I'm finding I have a lot less time for my 'projects' than I'd like.