1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What bass is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cyclone101, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Cyclone101

Cyclone101

Mar 20, 2013
    Hey guys,

I am looking to buy a fretless bass for a bit of a jazzy tone. I found this on the net for sale and I have no I dea what it is and what would be a good price for it. It is too far away for me to drive over without any knowledge of it. So here are my Q's.
    1) What is it?
    2) What is with the 2 P pups? I want a mellow tone, I guess it should pull that off.
    3) What would be a decent price for it?

Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to contact the seller for more info, will let you guys know if I find out more.

Regards

Attached Files:

2. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    that's tough to say as it's darn hard to see but I'll throw a wild guess to the wind . Vantage ?

3. Cyclone101

Cyclone101

Mar 20, 2013
    Vantage is a good guess from the looks alone.

The seller says it is a vintage epiphone, its a neck thru. Still can't find anything similar, maybe my google foo is fading.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Twice I went to see basses from craigslist that were advertised as neck-through, and they were glued on with stripes going all the way down the body for a neck-through look. Some people either can't tell the difference, or think they can fool you.

5. It looks fretless, too.

6. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    My guess would be that it's "custom" or homemade. Can't think of any Epiphone model like that. Vantage did use similar-looking double P pickups on some models, but not reversed.

7. Cyclone101

Cyclone101

Mar 20, 2013
    It most definitely is, I want to buy a fretless.

8. By the looks, it seems to be "custom" or homemade. If those are some of the older DiMarzio pups, it should sound pretty good. It may have that double "P" B.C.Rich-type of tone to it. What's the seller askin' for it?

9. Cyclone101

Cyclone101

Mar 20, 2013
    You might be right. I found a couple more pics of it on an older add. No markings on the headstock. It does look like a real NT. Still an interesting bass, but I doubt its worth much.

Attached Files:

10. Thinking the same way. Also, look at how the rear pup is nearly slammed right up against the bridge. Oddd...

11. It's worth is how well it actually plays and sounds. If the seller deems that's it's worth "only" $100.00, and it plays/sounds great, then someone's gettin' a hell of a deal.