What bass is used for Latin House music?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rubo, Aug 25, 2003.

1. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Hi, I'm totally new here, searched through the archives couldn't find the answers I'm looking for.

I'm using sampling for my bass sounds - and hate it, never sounds good and the transition between notes sucks, and what's after I tweak everything for few hours. I'm in quest to buy a bass guitar and learning how to use it rather then just sampling it off.

I have no idea about brands/models, but I want it to sounds like the bass in this sample:

I know it's probably impossible to find out what was used I that sample, since it's probably been processed with filters and amps. I tried to track the player - no luck so far. Can some one estimate what bass guitar was used, or recommend something similar to it. I was told that Fender P-Bass sounds similar.

Thanks, Boris
  2. yea....I think a P-bass will nail that sound.correct me if I'm wrong.
  3. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    sounds like a fender jazz bass.. a bit smoother than a p-bass...doesn't sound like it's filtered....sounds like 70's funk....
    lots of latin groove is played on the old ampeg baby-bass..(not this, though...)
    yeah, j or p bass...
  4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Boris -

Hey, welcome to TB.

As one of the resident (former) Latin music dudes, I would tell you that the prototypical bass tone you're looking for is the Ampeg Baby Bass. However, they are not made anymore, and as they are fretless with a 41" scale length, it may not be the best choice for someone who has never played bass (forgive me if I misread your post and you ARE a player! ;) ), not to mention finding one is tough, unless you get the Azola re-issue (big $, but worth it if you MUST have that tone).

Failing that, the Fender P with a piece of foam rubber under the strings at the bridge will do a very good job for a LOT less money.
  5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    agreed, the Ampeg baby bass is the staple- for salsa and more traditional stuff- I have been using a Steinbegrer NS Design Electric Upright Bass with good results in a Latin band i play in..there is a way to dial in a real muffled dry thump that works well in that genre. very little sustain. But for house, i am going to go way off here and say, most of the time a synth is used. I gotta grab my headphones, i couldnt really hear the bass in there very well thru the tiny speaks...
    Gard , tu no tocas mas musica Latina?? :(
  6. yea.......Benny from Santana uses an Azola Baby Bass...the tone is so awesome!
  7. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Thanks so much for fast response. The Ampeg looks like impossible to find and they go for about $1300 US - $1600 US, which is a little steep for me. I'm looking at a $700 - $800 budget tops. Next question is where can I hear some samples of Fender P-Bass and Jazz Bass and are there different types of these two models? Gard I never played a guitar or bass, so yes totally new to this, but not afraid to get my feet wet, I'm would always prefer sound quality over features, no software has yet impressed me with its sounds. I played with Trilogy ---> www.spectrasonics.net, still not the same. What does Fretless mean and which is better for my needs. Basically I'm clueless about this, if it's too much hassle explaining it to me, just send me some links where I can read more about it.

Adrian -sorry I don't speak Spanish - I'm Russian.

I guess the choice will come down to P-Bass or Jazz Bass - which one of the two you guys think is more smoother but also phat sounding and a lot closer to my samples. I have some mp3s if any one has space where I can upload it for you to listen to a little better sound quality then my link, I'll be happy to do it.

P.S. Ampeg Baby Bass - is it electric, or do you need a microphone set up to record it?
  8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    is that the Trilogy that had a hit called "Love me Forever?"- i knew those guys in Fla and actually did a gig with them! i stil have a sequence of that song somewhere- oh, and by the way- what i said was:
    " Gard, you're not playing Latin music anymore? :( "
  9. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Never heard of this track. I think there was a misunderstanding, Trilogy is a software module sampled off lots of bass guitars not a band. If you're refereeing to the sample I originally posted it's by Mambana (aka Axell --->http://www.axwell.co.uk/index2.htm) track called Libre, the bass guitar player for that track is Klas Bjorklund. I'm trying to track him down to find out exact set up he used. No luck so far. Also another question about Fender bass - I'm looking on Ebay now and there are different year models from 60s to current year which year I should be looking at to get closer to my sample.

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    my mistake- i thought you meant the group Trilogy -
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The ultimate Latin music bass: Tobias!
    The guy from MAW uses Smith, '75 Fender Jazz, and a Sadowsky.
  12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    damn woodchuck! i was just going to tell rubo about the fender you are selling- you are a sucky salesman!:D
  13. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I also heard a suggestion about Hofner bass - any ideas? Woodchuck - how much are you asking for yours? You also mentioned Tobias and Sadowsky - which models? I really can't find any samples on the net about these - any help would be appreciated.

14. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX

Correct me if I am wrong, Azola is making reissues of the Baby Bass. It may have been a limited production run.

Ray Rameriez of Puerto Rico is also making a great AUB that is great for latin music if you can not find a Baby Bass.
  15. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    What do you guys think of Modulus Genesis 5. I was in a local music store and listened to lots of basses, the two that I liked were Fender Zone, and Modulus GVJ4 Bass. I really liked the Modulus much better - it was so smooth sounding with killer slaps too, but I must say the player was sick, every guitar he played just rocked. How does Genesis 5 sound compared to J4?

16. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee

I had a genesis 5 and it was awesome. It was really warm and sounded good. I tried a quantum and found to be warm but it also sounded better for solo bass stuff like tapping and soloing by the bridge. I loved it but could only afford the genesis.

Eventually I traded it for a Zon sonus 5 and it is AMAZING!!! I love it!! Its very warm sounding, light weight, custom ZON electronics, custom wound bartolni pickups, and has the most unique highs I have ever heard. It was like the genesis meets the quantum in a way. Some say that graphite necked basses are "sterile" sounding but I totally disagree. The Zon is the most organic bass i have played. And you can dial in modern tones if you wish.

Anyways I strongly reccomend those 3 that I listed. LAtin bassist Bobby vega play a Modlulus J. I play a lot of latin myself. Btw I also own a pbass. Try a p bass before you buy it they are all different. Lowend.net and bassnw both have used zons that I have both tried out and found superb. For great prices Check em out.

17. I'll second Ray Ramirez basses. Click the image for his website.

18. some good suggestions by all here. you should really try and go to a music shop and try some stuff out. play everthing you can until you find something that feels and sounds right. in your price range I think a fender P or j bass is a good place to start. you can listen to all the mp3's you want but nothing short of actually playing the thing will let you know for sure.
  19. I recently spent 4 years in a latin band, playing everything from Santana thru Buena Vista, Celia Cruz, Ray Baretto, Los Van Van to Tito Puente and beyond. I always got the best sound using a Jazz with J-retro preamp and TI flatwounds.