1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Bass Is Used On This ---------

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, Apr 14, 2010.

1. The song's "Dance With Me" by Orleans.

The bass is awesome - anybody know what guitar they used?

It sounds fretless.

2. Addison

Addison This time, I didn't forget the gravy. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Bismarck, ND
    The original recording sounds fretted to me... there's no "mwah" at all, and you can hear a little of the fret "glisten" on some of the slides.

On this live YouTube Video he's using a sunburst Jazz Bass... it never shows a closeup, but it I don't think it's fretless.

He may have very well used something else for the recording, but... the bass he's playing looks like a "player's bass" and not a rental, so I'd wager that he probably used that exact bass on the recording and for all his live performances.

There wasn't a whole lot of switching back then.

This is all speculation on my part... based only on what I hear and what was typical for the period, so take it for what it's worth.

3. I always got a P bass vibe off of that song. I've learned it and it certainly sounds good on a P-Bass.

4. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

I am trying to get that same effect and so far I am C L O S E - but not quite.

Do you suspect any stomps in it? It sounds pretty clean to me though.

5. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I cheated...:smug:... and on the Youtube vids it looks like he's using a Fender Precision on that song and most other recordings. Then again as Addison pointed out there is never a close up on the video he posted. It would make sense because of the rhythm acoustic guitar and keyboards, a jazz bass wouldn't be too overbearing.

6. When a bass on its own can get the close-not-perfect sound, the rest is usually the amp/cab set up.

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I wish people would make music like this again. Good songs, everyone in the band played and sang and wrote songs. It wasn't so producer/record company driven. I miss those days.

8. Addison

Addison This time, I didn't forget the gravy. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Bismarck, ND
    Towards the very beginning you can see a reflection from the chrome control plate cover which leads me to believe it's a J and not a P.

You can also kind of pick out the "offset" body as well.

He might be rolling off the bridge pickup volume and tone a little for this song... which would lend to more of a mellow P-Bass like tone.

I might totally be wrong though, so don't listen to me... :D