What bass made you go passive (or mostly passive) after years of using active eq?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by songwriter21, Oct 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    So, since I started playing back in '95, I've always been a fan of having on-board eq, just for more flexibility. My newest bass (NJBD (New Japanese Bass Day)--Bacchus WOODLINE DX5-AC/E-BGP), though, sounds so good without any eq at all, that I only use the preamp when I slap, which is maybe 10% of my band's show. Granted, the slap eq sounds unreal, but the finger tone opens up and growls noticeably more without the darker tone (compression?) of the eq, and our sound guy says that every note is clear and defined going passive. I can even get close to a Spector "Haz Lab" sound, and I have single-coils now...whaaaa?? It's pretty cool knowing that I hardly use the battery, too.

What bass changed your mind to go passive?

2. Hamish MacCleod

Hamish MacCleod Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2014
    South America
    It wasn't a bass but a pickup: Lace Alumatone straight to jack, no tone or volume controls, no onboard pre.
    H

3. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Yamaha BB1024X. It's passive but the pickups are really punchy and even louder than my Aria Pro II active IGB-805.

4. Had a battery die live once. I still have an active bass that I gig with but I have a lot more passives now.

5. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    No such bass exists, as far as I know...

cthomas5200 and songwriter21 like this.
  6. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I thought the same thing, man. I would see "passive", and think "Ugh, next". Then I got my current bass....

7. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    Played some sort of Sadowsky for over 20 years exclusively, play a P-Bass 80% of the time now. The sound that you hear on million great records eventually led me there.

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    This CS Jazz relic (below), though I still use my Sadowsky and Valenti, too.

Jim's CS Jazz relic_1.JPG

9. IanA

IanA

Jul 31, 2011
    Leicester UK
    My Lull P4, plugged it in and the first note I hit was like thunder, made me realise I personally don't need active.

GBarnstable and songwriter21 like this.
  10. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    TB made me GAS a lot, and it eventually got to the point where I had too much gear. I've been simplifying nearly every aspect of my rig and playing, and one part of this exercise was me moving from actives to passives. I like not having to worry about batteries anymore.

StayLow and songwriter21 like this.
  11. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    I got tired of batteries.
    I've never liked boost/cut on-board EQ (which most are).
    I value simplicity.

fretlessguy and grrg63 like this.
  12. Gigged active basses for over 20 years. Picked up a used Lakland Skyline DJ5 at a local shop and liked it. Over time realized that playing hard on a jazz brings it to life and the rest is history. Of my 5 basses, 4 are jazz variants...

If you told me I would make this change 5 years ago I would have pointed and laughed out loud. Who knew...

songwriter21 likes this.
  13. GioBassist

GioBassist

Sep 9, 2016
    Fender P Bass!! I used an active Phil brand bass. But, when I got my passive but chunky P bass, that is real, battery-free power. - Gio:bassist:

14. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Ok. I'll bite. What is your current bass?

Herrick and songwriter21 like this.
  15. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I mostly play This in Passive mode. It's a Brubaker KXB-6 Custom Extreme 1.
    DSC01813.gif

Nunovsky, Jim Carr and songwriter21 like this.
  16. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    My Zebra Stripe Big Hair Hollywood Z WP_20161007_006.jpg

17. I just got tired of worrying about unplugging my bass, messing around with knobs, changing batteries.

I felt that I spent too much time messing with the EQ as opposed to focusing on my technique.

I'm not opposed to higher end active basses though.

I see an L-2000 in my future hehehe

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    joebar and songwriter21 like this.
  18. franklindayala

franklindayala

Feb 8, 2015
    PERÚ
    Me also. But in my case were Aero pickups. Saved me from selling my beloved Warwick

The Nameless and songwriter21 like this.
  19. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    It's in my original post!

20. SheaNC

SheaNC

Jun 15, 2006
    Marysville CA
    I've been into this "simplify" groove lately -- just pure tone. So, I went back to bassics. A Squier P-bass w/LaBella flats, and a Ampeg B100-R. On rare occasions I might plug in a Tubeworks Blue Tube, but it happens less and less frequently. And I find I am usually happy with just a flat eq and technique. (I know there's no such thing as a real "flat" eq, but humor me. :))

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021