What Bass matches your style?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blazer, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    It's funny when you think of it, but bassplayers tend to use Basses suited to their sound and style.

Playing in a prog metal band shaped me into develloping an agressive finger style lead bass playing and it took a roulation of basses before finding the ideal tone to suit that kind of playing.

My style basically is Jack Bruce style melodic playing combined with Steve Harris style gallopping

After trying out several five strings and even a Six string and a whole lot of Fender like basses. I settled for the twang of a 1976 Rickenbacker 4001 and a self made made flamed maple Rickenbacker copy with Jazz bass pickups (which as it stands sounds nothing like a Jazz bass at all.) Tuned B-E-A-D to cover the lower tuned songs.

What I love about my Ricks is their slick playing feel, the "Take it or leave it" treble sound and the deep punch from the neck pickup. Because a Rick isn't really an all round bass, it usually takes some time getting to tame your rick (and fellow Rickenbacker owners will testify) but when you do it's the most dependable bass ever.

I plug my basses straight into my Kustom 300 Watt Solid State head with the matching 2x15 cab, I usually leave the mids backed off with the highs open at three quarts and the lows open fully.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My Godin SD fits my style. Classy yet funky. It, with its bartolinis, has a nice classy jazz tone but a nice funk slap tone to it as well.
  3. I also play a RIC...too me its just comfortable and has the sound i love, and i also find the looks killer....
    RIC looks and sounds aggressive IMO, and since i like playing hard rock/metal the most...it seems to fit what i do perfectly.
  4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    My Conklins:

..and my ADG:

Fit my proggy style..

Might have to get a Warr though...

5. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I have a lot of basses that fit my style, yet I only own one bass now. My Ric 4003 fits most of my styles perfectly. I've tamed my ric for the most part, and it serves me well. I want a Jazz bass for less "heavy" stuff or for stuff that needs less of the ric tone. The Darryl Jones sig is my choice. The ric is a heavy sounding bass, and it's extremely difficult to get a light, non punchy, sharp sound from the ric. I also want a warwick thumb fretless (neckthru, need it special ordered), for jamming.
  6. When I first started playing, the P-bass fit my style. But, I have become less of p-bass man, and have been looking into Jazz basses, or MM basses. The P-bass is having a hard time keeping up with my slapping and funky finger stylings.
  7. Basically, any bass that has a good Fender-like sound.

I have a Stingray, which I would classify as Fender-like, but either a good Precision, or Jazz. I haven't played any G&Ls yet, but I think many would put them in the Fender category too.

8. any alembic or fodera in the $7000-$10,000 range would suit my style just fine :D
  9. OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    For the first time ever, I played on a Godin this past weekend. Seriously, if you have never done it I would highly recommend trying one. The playability was great and the overall shape of the tone was just as Figjam said. It was so cool to have been playing on one and a few guys came up and asked what it was. "A Godin." "A What? Man, that thing is sweet." I'm glad they didn't comment on my skills. :D

I also played a Zon Custom 5 Fretless (can you say mwaaaah?), its fretted alterego, Conklin GT-7, Peavey Cirrus 5, and a Lakland Skyline. That was the coolest bass experience I've had in awhile.

Overall, I'd have to say the Godin was my choice for fretted and the Zon for fretless. I went home and played my Soundgear and wanted to throw it in the trash for the way it sounded. Just muddy and gross.
  10. I play mainly punk/emo stuff, so my weapon of choice is the good ol' trusty P-Bass, in black of course.
  11. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    whatever feels good in my hands. I have 10 basses and all are different. And you know what, I sound like me no matter which one I play. it's all about feel for me.
  12. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    At the minute I feel the Sterling fits my style well, I like an agressive sounding tone with a lot of 'crunch'!

In the future I hope to add to my collection of basses with a Fender Precision, and possibly a Jazz to.

13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Stingrays and P-basses for me. I play metal, jazz, blues, and I just need versatile basses. They work great!
  14. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    My Fury's definately fit my style.
    -Strange looking headstock (Good for stabbing deadbeat club owners)
    -Heavy yet well balanced bodies (huge tone/sustain)
    -Great feeling necks (could play one for hours without getting tired)
    -Passive electronics that have higher output than most active basses I have played.
    -Instant access to drop D via the detuning bridge.
    -Great unique looks
    -Living 5 minutes away from the builder makes service painless and fast.

I think the Carvin's would fit my style better if they had a good passive circuit. Alas they do not.

Here are some fury pics,

15. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    these days I am playing alot of funk (alot of Bootsy and Prince, alot of slap and some fingerstyle funk as well) and some Jazz/Funk. and the Elrick NJS 4 strings fits me perfectly

planning on getting a Modulus bass too, in part because they are great basses and in part because I am going to be playing alot of outdoors shows this summer and the graphite neck will do well in going indoors in air conditioning to outdoors in the very humid Wisconsin summer
  16. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I play a bunch of styles of music also. Most of the stuff we play is Funk and Blues. Since we got this new singer who loves every style and is very ambitious...... We play; Funk, Blues, and Prog Rock (Yes meets Rush with Floyd). I play two basses to cover all of these. A Fender Jazz bass and a Rickenbacker. The both give me this tone that cuts well and sounds fantastic.
  17. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
  18. [​IMG]

I fell in love with this one when I found it. It's like butter in my hands when I play it.
  19. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I think my Ibanez suits my style pretty well. I love the looks and it's actually got a pretty nice, aggressive tone, which is what i wanted out of it. If i wanted something that sounded (and looked) laid back and smooth, I'd just have kept playing my Jazz instead.

Kinda gassing for a Warwick now, though. I gotta stop this. No more basses 'til I have a decent half-stack to play them through.
  20. A MusicMan StingRay.

Funny thing is, after 18 years of playing, I have yet to own one. However, I will likely be getting a Lakland 55-02 (which fakes the StingRay sound quite well :D ) sometime in the near future.