What bass model do I own? Charvel (pictures)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Hi, i bought this bass used from a friends brother for $180...who got it from a friend...who got it from a pawn shop...lord knows where it was before that. I was hoping you guys could tell me something about the model that it is.

All I know:
    It's a Charvel 5 string active p/j, bolt on neck, rosewood fingerboard. Serial # C002221

And yeah, the pickups are a mess. The J is really quiet so you have to turn the amp up alot to hear it...and the cover to one of the P pickups came off. If I can find out how much this bass cost brand new I'll decide whether or not I want to pay $160 for an EMG p/j set.

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    That's a Charvel "Fusion V", which was produced for a year or two in the early 90's - I believe Rex Brown of Pantera used on in his pre-Spector days. I *think* that the body style was inspired by the first Phil Collen (Def Leppard guitarist) signature Jackson model - it has the general body shape but without the complex and expensive carved body the guitar version has. I *believe* it was around $600 new, but don't hold me to that.

Here's the Harmony Central reviews on the four-string model which confirm what I wrote above (before I did the HC search, scout's honor! :smug: ) generally seem positive. I'd say that for $180 you got yourself a nice project bass that's certainly worth putting better electronics into. My only worry would be the B-string, as really good B's didn't fall into the mid-level market until the latter half of the 1990's, but I think it's worth taking the chance on.

This is actually bringing me back to my youth - while looking through catalogs during that time period dreaming of upgrading from my first bass (a "Pro Session", of which it was neither) this was always one of my desires. Even now for $180, I would take the chance on it. Reminiscing does that to me. :help:

I read that HC review myself, but wasn't sure if that was a match or not. You sure it's a IV and not a V?

Hehe, I ran a google search, here's a pic from 1990

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    The body looks like a mix between a Yamaha RBX and an Elrick :). How's that finished neck? Sticky or smooth?
  5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'm a cut 'n paste genius. :scowl: It's a V, and I've edited to correct.
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    :cool: I love it when painted necks are smooth. I definitely prefer em to unfinished.
  7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Friggin' awesome! Charvel users unite! :D
  8. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    I've always been a Charvel fan, about 19 yrs ago I bought a model 3B and to this day I still have it. It was my first quality bass I purchased. I later ended up buying a Jackson Concert V and a Jackson Futura (Kip Winger) bass.

I have to admit that though I am a Jackson fan, I don't like where they have gone. IMO, todays Jacksons are nowhere the quality or looks that the 80's and early 90's basses were.

Here is a link to some pictures of the Charvel and Jackson Futura: http://community.webshots.com/user/pistoleroace

I no longer have the Jackson basses, I wish I still had the Futura though.
  9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  10. [​IMG]

That's sick! Note the J pup located by the neck. :cool:

Oh and since I discovered that my bass is worthy of upgrading, I'm going to put in a new EMG P/J combo and hold off on getting a new bass for another month or so.