1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What bass model do you find to have the best playability/ease of play, and great tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bunky, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Bunky

Bunky

Jul 12, 2011
    I’m a guitarist and I’d consider a a top of the line Ibanez Satriani model to be the guitar equivalent of what I’m looking for in a bass. Great sound and so so easy to play and sound musical on. (Only thing I didn’t like about those were the Floyd rose.)

elkkid2 and zon6c-f like this.
  2. I have went round the houses and for me anyway, I have landed back where I began.. P bass.

3. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    My current addiction is a 2017 Squier Affinity P Bass (PJ). Really.
    It sounds unbelievably good, plays like a dream, and weighs less than 8.5 lbs.
    It's got a great neck, too, imo.
    It gets played a lot...

Also, it is not my only P bass. :D

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  4. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    We can't put on your preferences and tell you what only you can determine for yourself.
    Go to music stores and test basses.

jackn1202, amper, GregC and 19 others like this.
  5. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Well, I wouldn’t call it the bass equivalent of an Ibanez Satriani guitar, so it probably won’t apply to you, but my first thought on reading your thread title was my MIJ Fender Mustang reissue (best playability/ease of play) but it’s not quite my best tone. My best tone was from my MIM Fender Precision bass back when it had a Fender Original Precision Bass pickup in it (I mention the pickup because it’s not the pickup that came with the bass [same type of pickup, but a different model], and I actually have it in another bass at the moment).

So for me, one is my best player with a tone I like and the other is my best tone with playability that’s fine - and I’m very happy with both basses. What’s best for you, I don’t know, but for reference, my favorite guitar all around, including tone, is an old Les Paul Standard (like today’s Traditional). My best playability guitar, well, they’re all pretty good, but my SG Classic with its thin, flat backed neck might be best in that department.

So, it looks like I’m more into the classics than you are. Given that, I’d guess you’d want to at least check out one or more of Ibanez SR Series basses. Their necks are thin and fast. Not the look or tone for me, but not so bad imo either, and anyway different tastes are part of what makes the world go ‘round. They even make a medium scale version now, the SR Mezzo, which I assume would be even more playable. Might be right up your alley

Scott Shaw likes this.
  6. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I don't know that guitar,but I'd suggest you look at Laklands.

gyppo, GregC, MAXSPINRUN and 2 others like this.
  7. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    guitar is not bass

8. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Try out a Fender Jazz or equivalent. The slimmer neck (compared to the Precision) will probably feel more at home to a guitarist. It's also incredibly versatile given its simplicity. It will do anything from warm (Aston "Family Man" Barrett) to punchy (Jaco Pastorius) to snappy (Marcus Miller).

Auspuff, whero, Rodslinger and 5 others like this.
  9. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    There is no one size fits all answer

Tvrtko, pcake, Rezdog and 8 others like this.
  10. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Actually a typical Strat has a 1-5/8" nut, which is the same as most current P-bass necks.

GregC, dralionux and moreblues like this.
  11. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014
    For ease of play and fast neck nothing can beat my aria pro II. Not my favorite bass overall but it really does follow my lead.

TrevorR and UNICORN BASS like this.
  12. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    best playability/ease of play, and great tone

These qualities are highly subjective, so I don't think you'll find the consensus you're seeking here.

As posted above, play every bass you can get your hands on and see what you like.

GregC, TonyP-, 123Nil and 3 others like this.
  13. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    MTD USA basses and the Spector NS models for me , given that both are 35'' scale (5 strings)

Dimbass777 and TonyP- like this.
  14. BergerHead

BergerHead plastic phantastic

Aug 22, 2018
    Basel, Switzerland
    Mine! :smug:

dmt, Davbassdude and BOOG like this.
  15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It seems as though you would favor thin, flat necks. As such, stick with Ibanez and/or try Kiesel. Others here may have more suggestions.

I prefer chunky necks. Wide spaced 5 strings with a little girth to them. So our lists would likely differ greatly.

I always thought the Satriani was a great looking guitar. When I saw him live he played a totally chrome colored one and it looked amazing under stage lights.

16. Artman

Artman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgetown, TX
    Ask a million bassists and you’re going to get at least nine hundred thousand different answers. Go play some basses, go home, come back the next day and play them again, and then purchase the one that feels most familiar

MynameisMe, pcake, tradernick and 4 others like this.
  17. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Rock 'n' Roll Knuckle Dragger Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    For ease of play, Musicman Bongo practically plays itself. It sounds pretty great too if you're into the active bass sound.

I've since gotten really, really into Gibson Thunderbirds, but I'm not sure I'd recommend them to anyone just taking up bass. A lot of people just plain don't like them and never will. And that's okay.

18. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    it's all about the setup. Currently my favorite setup is on a Musicman Stingray HH. I'd say it's pretty versatile regarding tone.

I've heard the G&L l-2000s are great basses, probably the next base that I'll look into.

19. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Stenback. He only makes a J-type bass, black or white, doesn't advertise, but they're legend. I've tried one, but can't afford it.

9395539stenback_four_review.jpg

tradernick, Outtaseezun and ajkula66 like this.
  20. kentiki

kentiki

May 14, 2008
    Is this a pro p-bass or anti p-bass post?

Stevorebob likes this.