1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

What bass on Foreigner's Waiting For A Girl Like You?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, Nov 15, 2016.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    On one of my favorite songs, Waiting For A Girl Like You, I heard the bass player used a Rickenbacker. The bass tone and sustain sounds so much like the Ric I owned many years ago. To my surprise, I saw an old video of Foreigner playing the song live, and the bass player was using a Fender Jazz.

Was it played on a Ric in the studio then a Jazz live?

Say it ain't so Joe!

What say ye, TB'ers?

2. Ed Gagliardi was the original bassist and I remember him using a Ric, turned over for lefty. He was only on the first two records though. He was replaced by Rick Wills who mainly used a Precision for recording.

wintremute and alaskaleftybass like this.
  3. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Just listened to it through headphones, and I'm gonna agree with Gluvhand and vote for a well-EQ'd Precision.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  4. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    When I saw them in November 1979 Rick was using a 70's maple neck sunburst Precision Bass with a gold pickguard. Definitely a P bass on Urgent so I would go with the P bass.

5. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thanks guys! Well, now I know how beautiful a Precision could sound, even though it's been 30 years since I played on in a band. Time go to a store and start trying one again...

6. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    If you "Want to Know What Love Is," a Precision could very well fit the bill. I never really quite understood that "sits well in the mix" comment that Precision players often make, but after buying a P, I now get it. And I would venture to guess that Mutt Lange gets it, too.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  7. Foreigner.jpg Here 'ya go! Florida Strawberry Festival about 2013 or 14. Look waaaaay over to the right. Looks like the same bass as he used in 1979.

8. byoung93888

byoung93888 Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Looks more like Jeff Pilson in the pic to me and he wasn't on those early recordings.

Kevnn4 and alaskaleftybass like this.
  9. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Do you think Waiting for a Girl was played with a Ric? Sure sounds like one to me...

10. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Mesa, AZ
    Yeah, that's Jeff Pilson in the photo. Rick hasn't played with Foreigner since 1992.

I'd be surprised if they used anything but a P-Bass for the album. Rick ALWAYS had a P-Bass in his hand. The one I see most often from back then looks like a late 50's re-issue with the maple neck and gold anodized pickguard.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  11. byoung93888

byoung93888 Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    "Do you think Waiting for a Girl was played with a Ric? Sure sounds like one to me..."

I can't say I have listened to that one enough to remember, only heard it on radio many moons ago. Will have to revisit it and see.

12. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska

Nice looking P-bass. It looks like his pickup is the same as the old cream DiMarzio on my P.....

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    MetsMan75 and byoung93888 like this.
  13. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Great song and bass line.

petch, steelbed45 and alaskaleftybass like this.
  14. steelbed45

steelbed45 33 on Ignore Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    +1
    Excellent synth work by Thomas Dolby.

petey293 likes this.
  15. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    How do you guys do it? How in the world do you get so good you can tell what type of bass is being used? I know a Ric has a different tone but, WOW:D

wintremute likes this.
  16. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    To me that sounds like P through and through. Does everything in that track I would expect from a well-engineered P, sitting in an expertly produced track!

alaskaleftybass and steelbed45 like this.
  17. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Back when pop music actually had interesting chord changes and intelligent arrangements . . .

18. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    If anyone's interested... this guy does a nice job of playing bass on his Precision... you should hear his Owner of a Lonely Heart too....
    He has some primo P basses... :)

Super Iridium and BrentSimons like this.
  19. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    This is a trick question.

Everyone knows that all great rock songs have been recorded with a P bass!!!

alaskaleftybass and 73jbass like this.
  20. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    A fretless Stingray would work well too.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021