Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"What bass?" or "Help me spend my money..."

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanGouge, Mar 21, 2001.

1. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Okay I'm on the verge of updating my rig with a new addition. Problem is, I can't decide exactly what it should be. I saw sweet used Ken Smith Burner, J PUP's bolt-on (which I already enquired about here) for $900 Cdn ($600 US).

For the same price I could also get a used Reverend Rumblefish 5, this too sounded sweet (and better than a lot of 5's I've played) and looks in good shape.

Then the other day I saw a $700 Cdn ($470 US) Spector neck-thru with PJ PUP's. I think it may be a Korean one... It played well and also sounded really sweet.

I also like the idea of getting a fretless, although I don't know which one for sure.

I know these are really disparate choices but I really don't know what to do. FWIW what I got now is a Fender 62 reissue Jazz Bass and 1972 Gibson SB-350 (short-scale, SG shape). I play a lot of worship in my church (mostly modern rock-sounding stuff) but I also do some dubby-jazzy-hip-hop sort of stuff on the side. Which of these would be of most use to me? I like all these basses as far as their tonal and playability characteristics, I suppose it's more a question of philosophy...
    Lemme know what y'all think...
    -Dan

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
  3. damn ifabara, you're a regular disciple. ;)

4. You should check out G&L stuff....at bassnw.com They sell bass at a really bargain price. You can check out cort basses. Even the curbow, conklin that's made by cort are really good basses for the price(I think).

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I will always recommend him.
    Until I get my bass.
    In that moment, I will post a full review and a website with all the pictures and building steps for my bass.
    Maybe even the emails that feeded the need.

6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    DanGouge, FWIW, here are a few suggestions:

Keep playing all three basses as often as possible. Maybe one will "speak" to you and you'll just know which one to buy.

Are all three basses in the same shop? If not, as you're trying out a bass in one shop, tell the sales person about the deals you're considering in the other shop(s). The sales person may just offer you a deal that you can't pass up, and your decision will be made for you. If all three basses are in the same shop, at least you can try them side by side.

Also, going by just the info. in your post, I would probably choose the Ken Smith. It's a quality instrument, it's the lowest in cost (although, you didn't post a price for the Reverend), and it's versitile enough to cover the styles of music that you play.

To recap, just keep playing all three basses until your offered a great deal, you're banned from the shop(s):D, or you find the one that really "speaks" to you.

Finally, if you still can't decide after a while, maybe none of these basses are right for you, and unless you need another bass, don't buy any of them, and continue your search.
    (JMHO)

7. dblbassted

dblbassted

Mar 21, 2001
    Memphis, Tn.
    I have both a Reverend and a Spector, so I can help alittle here. The Reverend is a great bass, but probably not as versatile as you would like. The Spector also has a unique sound, but is much more versatile. I can say that I haven't played too many Smiths thaat I didn't like. So for the kind of stuff you're doing, I'd vote no for the Reverend, even though it's one of my favs.

8. Dan, since you have a '62 Jazz reissue, wouldn't the
    Ken Smith be pretty close if it's got J pups?

I'm not familiar with the Rumblefish, but, have heard a few good remarks about 'em

Spectors I like.

Now, to give you more to cosider...

www.dpcustom.com I went to this guy's
    site and his stuff looks awefully good.

And, as many would expect from me at this site; the next three basses you should consider are:

Epiphone Jack Casady
    Epiphone Jack Casady
    Epiphone Jack Casady

Seriously though, I think Slater had the best advice.
    Play all three. One will stand out.

Good Luck,
    Mike J.

9. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    I think Iffy is turning into Pushic's JT! :)

10. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Thanks for all the advice. I checked out DP Custom and I have to say that that guy has some good looking stuff. Then the bass would be to my own specs, hmmm... Sounds really cool, of course this has also just complicated my decision...
    -Dan

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The Smiths I've played with J pickups didn't sound like a Fender, they sounded surprisingly like a nice Smith:D

Not quite like Smith soapbars but very Smith-y. The Smith-essence was still there. Their Smith-osity was not in question. I'll stop now.

12. Brad, what was the last name of that English Captain, you know, the one who married Pocohantus? Darn! I can't remember!

Mike J.

P.S. Who were those guys with the beards on the cough drop box? Arrgh!

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Jones?

Hey, they're Smith-erific! What Smith-ability... of course in a Smith-esque way.*

Mike made me do it:D

*Can you believe it, I've never owned a Smith;)

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm a big fan of a Conklin with Bartolini soapbars, they have the "Groove Tools" line that are very affordable. -B
    http://www.conklinguitars.com