Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass player inspired you to start playing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bo Bradley, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Chuck Rainey for me.His bass playing on steeley dans royal scam album.

2. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    one of the first cds i bought was 'one hot minute' and i couldnt get enough of FLEA's playing.

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Tony Kanal from No Doubt

4. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Roscoe Beck. I heard him playing with Eric Johnson on Austin City Limits. His live solo on 'Zap' is still one of my favorites.

Lee

5. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
  6. eric wilson, pounding it out for sublime.

7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Wow you guys make me feel really old! Can someone else say sombody that been around for atleast 10 years? mine are jack bruce joh paul jones! You guys are saying flea? That makes me feel like a old man! Ofcourse ive probably have played as long as flea! Ohh my god iam old!

8. Matt Freeman from rancid got me into it. After hearing Journey to the end of east bay and maxwell murder i knew i had to pick a bass up and give it a shot....havent stopped since!

codycon96 likes this.
  9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    gene simmons seen on the tv when i was a kid during the take off "solo" of "god of thunder". maybe i started to realize that with a bass i could fly...

10. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    My brother.

Well, actually he took up guitar, and well, you can leave the rest to good old-fashioned sibling rivalry.

11. groovelady

groovelady

Jul 28, 2001
    Germany
    John Deacon from Queen and when I found the Blues, Donald "Duck" Dunn from Blues Brothers Band.

12. Probably Roger Waters.... although the reason that I wanted to play a music instrument is that
    I just wanted to play 'Break On through', and the bass seemed to be the quickest path. And Flea makes it look pretty damned cool!

13. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Stuart Zender retired bassist from Jamiroquai and the one and only Flea......!!

14. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Stuart Zender of Jamiroquai;
    Andrew Levy of The Brand New Heavies;
    Mani of The Stone Roses.

15. uh... I meant Flea makes being a bassplayer look cool, not Flea playing Break On Through! :)

16. groovelady

groovelady

Jul 28, 2001
    Germany
    Hey, I like the doors-basslines, too. I love the drive, the doors have. Hey,you Lizard-King can you do anything?

Get the groove

17. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Jack Bruce and John Entwistle for the most part.

18. A combination of my friend Simon and Tina Weymouth of Talking Heads.

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    geddy lee - when i saw the moving pictures tour, i knew i had to try it. it took me about 3 years, but i finally got one.

20. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Gene Simmons and Geddy Lee.

Gene, because of the 'cool' factor and the bass' role in the rhythm section, binding the whole band together. Gene's sound was more feel than technical wizardry, and it complimented their music perfectly.

Geddy, because of his style of breaking out of the rhythm section and becoming the lead melody. Rush was the first band I listened to that had 'depth' to their sound, where any single instrument could be the driving lead, and they did a great job of passing that lead around to everyone, often.

I've been influenced by countless others, but those two are what made me pick up the bass that first time so many years ago.