What bass player magazine should I subscribe to?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Anyone have any suggestions?? I will say this, I want a magazine with some good players is it, honest product reviews, good excerpts (not TAB), no advertising the new strap that allows you to hang your bass below your crotch, no advertisements saying that Nikki Six, Flea, or the guy from Blink 182 are the worlds best bass players, no articles telling you how to pick up a chick after a gig, and basically a magazine that wont make me feel dumber after I read it..

Any suggestions or am I asking too much?
  2. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    i don;t think that there is a mag that tells you how to pick up chicks after a gig. You shouldn't have to. You're the bass player. :smug:

I'm a fan of bass player, though many have complained that their covers dictate their advertising. Frankly, that's the nature of the business and every magazine must be read with an eye out for bias. Their product reviews are usually pretty good, but lately i feel like they're going soft. however, they do have sections on repair, electronics (skimpy but there) and gigging/studio procedure. They tend to be jazz oriented but they have rock/jam banders on the cover frequently.

bass guitar is an offshoot of guitar world(i'm pretty sure) and is more heavy metal oriented. I pick it up when there's someone i like on the cover or good songs tabbed out. but you don't want that.

there's one from the UK that they carry in Barnes and noble, haven't read it though.

i'd go with bass player. hey, shouldn't september's ship soon? :hyper:
  3. Yea, got mine a couple of days ago. I think it took them a little longer to get this one out. :smug:
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I subscribe to Bass Guitar (more modern/hip) and Bass Player (more mature/eclectic) and read both religously. They both have great writing, but if you were only to get one, I'd recommend Bass Player magazine, because it comes out twice as often.
  5. Andyattalkbass

Aug 11, 2005
    I'm currently subscribed to Bass Guitar Magazine (the one from the UK that someone mentioned). Its a pretty good magazine but the only downside for me is that it comes out bi-monthly rather than monthly!

Check out this link and take a look at the back issues, gives you a good idea whats included and as you will see it has some pretty varied artists/main features!
  6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Bassplayer costs 8 euro overhere, which is a bit much for a magazine imo.
  7. 28 $ for a 1 year subscription ( shipping costs included ! )

8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Nice, but I'll wait untill I have my fretless (hopefully within this and 6 months).
  9. djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    Double Bassist Magazine.