What bass player(s) influenced your effects use?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CROZ, Sep 12, 2000.

1. Who is the first player that made you want to use effects? When did you first discover them, when you first started or later on in the game? Who else inspires you? <p>
    For me, Cliff Burton inspired me to use effects when I first started. But Now I think the unquestionable master of effects is Larry Graham. He is like Hendrix on Bass except a lot funkier! He rocks.
    Driven Crane likes this.
  2. Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Chris Squire probably most influenced me to start trying effects. I think it probably was the flange effect on Yes' "Tempus Fugit" from the 1980 "Drama" album that first interested me, but then I began noticing his use of effects on a number of other tunes, too. Actually, if you like effects, you might want to listen to Yes' album "Tormato" on which Squire uses many effects on a variety of tunes.

I think I also started using effects in an attempt to get my Vantage bass with P-pickups to sound like Geddy Lee's Rickenbacker or a fretless J-bass. I never quite made either tone, but ended up with some very cool sounds none the less.

I sometimes wonder at all the hostility toward effects. To me they're just another way to expand your tonal possibilities. (Of course, they're certainly no shortcut to good tone: a bad player is a bad player, with or without effects!)

[Edited by Saint on 09-13-2000 at 05:16 PM]
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Jaco for his use of digital delay, Alphonso Johnson and Bootsy for using everything else.
  4. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Jaco hands-down influenced my use of overdrive and the octave pedal. However, I use them so rarely I wonder why I bought them sometimes. <lol> Generally I use them for solo performances, as in most cases all that's required of me is clean bass.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Pino Palladino for octavers (on Pete Townsend's 'Give Blood')

Gary Granger for monster compression (Scofield's 'Pick Hits - Live')

Doug Wimbish for all-around FX madness (live at the Musikmesse Frankfurt)

Bootsy, Bootsy, Bootsy...(I only recently discovered him - mea culpa :D )

[Edited by JMX on 09-16-2000 at 07:07 PM]
  6. Orgy_Fan

Sep 19, 2000
    How old is everyone here???

Paige Haley influenced me to use effects.
  7. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Not as old as you might think! :D
  8. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Living in England, it's only fairly recently that we've been able to get hold of bass albums, so I was influenced by ideas that I picked up from articles. I remember reading about Michael Manring using a JamMan, before I ever heard him, and so requested one for review for Bassist magazine. When eventually heard him live at NAMM 99, it was a real revelation what was possible with two hooked together (though sadly they aren't made any more, so are rather hard to come by - i've still only got one...)

Other effects - octaver was originally from Pino - great sound, and it became a must have in the UK - people wanted that 'pino sound'...

Most other things came from experimenting with the extremes possible on effects units - not thinking about 'bass sounds' just expanding my range of options - so lots of the sounds I use now don't sound like 'bass' bass, just music...

9. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    ...and there was cool music before New Metal...:D
  10. Orgy_Fan

Sep 19, 2000
  11. Cliff Burton is the main reason I like using a wah pedal when playing bass. Larry Graham on Sly and the Family Stone's "Dance To The Music" is funky and fuzzed out. Jason Newsted is notorius for using some crazy Morley wah usage.
  12. Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Bootsy? Mu-Tron? Yup :)

And have you seen what Les Claypool does with an auto wah on the videoplasty with that dj? Cooooolll.. And it's bootsy too!

I actually bought my first analog wah before I heard anyone using them on records, but Flea has done some pretty cool things with those.

Distortions and octaves come from Jaco on Tim Crommerford.

13. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Jaco for overdrive (just on the mids) and chorus.

14. For me it was Ralphe Armstrong who played with Jean Luc Ponty in the 70's & 80's. Ralphe also played with Mahavishnu Orchestra and Frank Zappa and now plays acoustic bass mostly. He used effects to give his bass a different "voice"so he could take it out of the bass arena. Gary King also got some really cool sounds and who can overlook Bootsey and Larry Graham.
    Bellbass likes this.
  15. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    Although I'm not really influenced by him, Justin Chancelor (Tool) made me want to get my chorus. I REALLY want to get a bass synth after listening to New Order.
  16. puppeteering

Mar 16, 2000
    Doug - Tortoise (Thrill Jockey Records)
    Roger - Pink Floyd (all the old stuff...)

17. 13.
  18. 24
  19. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i use a rickenbacker 4001 influenced by geddy lee, pink floyd, motorhead and deep purple type of sound
    i have to thank
    pink floyd because they let me know that i have to experiment a lot of sound before beeing satisfied
    sir ian kilmister for the distorted bass sound
    now i use an old eh big muff pi at this purposal.
    and i do not know who deserves a thank you for my playing bass with a wah sometimes.
    amd one day i'll put my hands on a mu-tron.
  20. not a bass player, eddie van halen.