Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass-related gear would you make?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fralim01, Oct 15, 2005.

1. What would you make if you had the know how? Me I would make a small, inexpensive Tube DI box with at least minimal tone controls so I wouldnt have to carry a big rig sometimes. Or maybe a clip on, personal in-ear system...

possibilites are endless!

:cool:

(BTW I dont work for a company or anything..just a poor graduate student with too much time on my hands!)

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Amps (heads preamps etc), speaker cabinets, and basses. Nuthin' fancy - that's all ya really need anyway. ;)

3. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I would make the mother of all tube amps. 600 watt power section, 15 band fully parametric graphical eq, dedicated tube overdrive valves, 2 band tube compression, inbuilt noisegate, 3 band parametric crossover. I would also make a dedicated HF cab, 1 inch tweeter, two 6 inch drivers and a single 10". Then I would make an 8x12 and a single 1x15 + 1x18 cab to sit on the bottom. Then I would make a very large ladder. Then I would jam. I would also manufacture several robotic roadies to move the damn thing.

On a slightly more serious note, I would make a bass specific portable battery powered amp, using an 8" speaker and a tweeter and the smallest footprint possible. Would just have volume and a 5 band eq.

4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm working on being a luthier. :)

5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Since this is the "amps" section I would update the Ampeg B100R to the Ampeg B1000R:

1000 watts power with extension speaker (a matching extension cab should be available also).

Same preamp, overall tone and look as the B100R except:

Add a DI and a built-in tuner. Also, make it a wedge so it can be kicked-back when used alone.

Finally-keep it under 50 pounds.

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I would build a...

http://my.execpc.com/0B/CC/fdeck/bass/BBBBWeb.zip

I have also built my own speakers, and a complete combo amp. Right now I am experimenting with a homemade switching power amp based on the AMP1 kit from 41 Hz Audio (www.41hz.com), but some additional work is necessary before I can declare it to be gig-worthy.

Power amp design should be left to the pro's, given the safety and reliability issues involved, and the fact that (solid state) power amps are practically a commodity with practically no interesting sonic issues.

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd build a tube amp that required a small crane to hoist onto a stage.

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    ...on the other hand, I'd go with a "Back To The Future 2"-esque hoverboard-equiped cabs. Imagine a "no mass" load-in! :smug:

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'd buy the rights to the Green Audio ME-1 preamp and/or hughes & Kettner Fortress preamp (maybe throw in the BATT/Bass Master for good measure) and do up-to-date versions.

Do some cool-looking, sturdy new gigbag designs, ...sorry can't tell you my ideas ;)

Do a simple, wide (4+ inches), unpadded and short(!) strap made from thick, high-quality leather.

10. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    A moderately powerful, no-nonsense no-gimmick (fewest knobs and switches possible while retaining decent EQ capabilities) tube 2x10 combo amp.

11. A bass with onboard 1200 watt tube amp, yeah, you'd need to wear something of This ilk whilst playing tho

12. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Composite (wood + styrofoam) speaker cabinets and equipment racks. How about 8x10 that is under 100lbs?

13. which also floats!

14. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    A stereo tube preamp with only a boost around 100hz, and I would make the incase gigbags :bawl:

15. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I was going to say an updated B100R, but I'll say a cheaper version of the Ridge Farm Gas Cooker DI. I was ready to whip out the cash for one without even hearing it and then I saw the price. :eek: I made that face. It is a dual channel DI that has tubes in it and you get to blend in the amount of tube goodness that you want.

I would like to make a company didicated to different distortion/fuzz/od pedals for bass. Something with synth sounds, one just to add some grit, a true fuzz with a blend knob, I could go on and on. I need to learn how to make pedals.

16. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    400w, but this may have too many knobs for your liking.
    [​IMG]

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=32&cat=15&id=262

17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I've already made my own cabinets, cables (speaker and instrument) and rack case. I've also made cheaply purchased broken bass gear work again and a fretted bass into a fretless...

I've always dreamed of having my own instrument and amp company, but the ADD kicks in and "someone" tells me what else I should be spending my time on...and I have to support my family...

18. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I'm interested in becoming a luthier, even to the point of doing something along the lines of what Valenti is doing. It's already begun, as I'm modding the heck out of my SX.

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Already have some effect designs possibly in the works, though on the back burner for now due to financials.

Maybe a 2x15 cabinet is in the works.

And I can tell you someone here is planning some nice amps that I'm going to be testing. But I can't build those babies.

20. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The only things I haven't gotten to yet are the instruments themselves, lightweight high power amps, and the DSP stuff. All of those are in the works though.:cool:

I gigged for years with my own cabs and preamps. For the last two years I've been mostly using commercially available stuff though. I'm looking forward to changing that this year. My wife and family want me to go into production on a few of my widgets. That just might happen sooner than later.

Down the road: composite instruments and cabs, and maybe eventually a really lightweight tube amp, although tubes don't usually do much for me for bass. There's plenty of great sounding bass gear out there, so it has to be really light to get my attention at this point.