Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Bass School do u suggest?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Coleman, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Coleman

Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    i hope study in bass school(i am not live in US)
    can suggest and get some detail of bass school for me ?

2. I did not go to music school, but I notice that a lot of my favorite bass players either did not go to any school or went to the Berklee School of Music in California. If you want to study in the U.S., consider them.

3. Berklee is in Boston, your thinking UC Berkley

4. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Think Berklee. I have heard from a reliable source that MI is garbage. I gota video from LAMA and was unimpressed.

5. I know people in MI, LAMA, and Berklee. My understanding is that you get what you put into it. If you're not motivated to learn, they'll be happy to take your money anyway.

I suggest talking or emailing with the bass faculty at each of those places and go from there.

6. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I've heard Berklee is ultra liberal... is that true?

7. Coleman

Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    Thx everyone give me suggest, but i havent much $, which school is suit to me?

8. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    All 3 of the schools mentioned at at least $10,000 a year I believe.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    LAMA is WAY cheaper than berklee and MI, for 2 reasons, 1, it's relatively new(only like 20-30 years old) 2, it's really small and the facilities don't stand up to MI or Berklee's facilities.

but, LAMA is a very good school, a friend of mine is currently there, she loves it, she gets a lot of personal attention, and she likes all her teachers, though she's often getting bogged down with a lot of work.:meh:

I'm currently at berklee, and it's pretty neat, though I often get the feeling that it's like a big musician factory, finely tuned to churn out musicians that all work the same way. well, eitherway I'm learning jazz now, so that's neat.

I didn't go to MI because it's in LA, while I love california, and I love LA, I figured if I was in an area that was very familiar to me, I'd be lazy, but by placing myself out in Boston, It's easier for me to see the scope of what I'm doing, and focus.

There is a Berklee school of music program in LA, but It's not year round if I remember correctly, it's fairly new, only a year or two old, I think they are hoping to expand it and possibly have it become a new offshoot of the school.

10. Coleman

Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    can post this school website or info here?