1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What bass should I buy for experimental post-rock band?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MichiBass, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Hello,

I'm looking for a bass to buy for our experimental post-rock band Sunset in the 12th House: Sunset in the 12th House Desert's Eschaton (live at Scart Pub) - YouTube (other videos related, Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/sunsetinthe12thhouse )

Currently I play a cheap Fender Jazz replica I'm really not happy with. I own a Fender Jazz Bass, but I use that for other bands only, because at Sunset in the 12th House I use BEAD tuning.

Facts:

- I prefer under 1000$
    - I prefer a 4 string, strung BEAD
    - I'm more a classic and minimal kind of guy

Precision? Spector? Any other brand?

Thanks,

Michi

2. lachy

lachy

Dec 20, 2011
    Adelaide, Aus
    Hey man,

I'd just take a leaf out of the Jaun Alderete, Omar Rodriguez Lopez Group page and use a fretless Precision bass, with lots of effects of course. :)

Lachy

3. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    So here's the thing: in Post-Rock experimental music the best bass is no bass at all. To have a bass would be to give in to all that is rock. My first reaction is that you should pursue the instrument that is the opposite of bass, like the triangle or a flute. Then I realized that to go opposite is to acknowlege and give power to the original. Then I thought about going with something that had the feel of bass but that didn't make sound. Like a slowly pulsing light. Finally I found that the more I thought about it the further away from the truth I got and decided that the only thing to do was to do nothing.

So, you can play the bass you have, play any other bass in the word, or play no bass at all. In the end nothing really matters anyway. Sigh.

4. xepher2792

xepher2792

Oct 7, 2011
    Ventura CA
    ^ Possibly the best post ever.

5. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
  6. I wrote in the first post: 4 string, so no 2 strings :D

7. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I think you need a 12 string bass for some reason.

8. Sleeq

Sleeq

Feb 13, 2008
    Lebanon/Kuwait
    When in doubt, get a Precision.

9. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    You forgot to specify the tort guard.

10. Sleeq

Sleeq

Feb 13, 2008
    Lebanon/Kuwait
    and the flats!

11. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

May 8, 2011
    Central NY
    What you need is a tissue box. And old tissue box, that isn't made out of recycled materials. Once you get one of these your going to have to wrap it with rubber bands. Thicker rubber bands are prefered.

12. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

4 strings, check
    minimalist, check

13. thousandmph

thousandmph

May 17, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Independent sessionist
    You can't go wrong with a Precision or Jazz Bass. Just remember that you have to change the nut to accommodate the heavier gauges of the BEAD-setup.

In my opinion, setting limitations on what you want for a specific purpose is counterproductive. Go to your favorite guitar shop(s) and play around. Try things out. It is truly the best way to go about it, if you are looking to try something new. Try it with your hands, not your expectations.

14. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    I was a bit of a d1ck in my post above. Sorry about that. But what I'm really getting to is that if it's "experimental" music you have a lot of freedom. By definition you can't make a bad choice. I'd take a look at whether you will run a lot of effects, if you want a sound that has a lot of definition, if you'll want to be able to beat on the bass without breaking it. etc. There's no right bass for any kind of music, at least there shouldn't be.

15. A "What bass is best for ________?" tread?

I suggest a Precision, with flats...

Seriously.

16. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    This, or a Zeta bass.

17. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    something with a 35" scale for that low B

18. Buy an old harp and put bass strings on it,......all E strings with different tensions.

19. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I love this post! This made my morning.

20. Fathand

Fathand

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    My 2c: Are you going for an aggressive/distorted sound or something more mellow/atmospheric, or maybe both? :)

You could just throw hotter/better pickups into your Jazz copy, and save a lot of money - the jazz PU combination gives a lot of tweaking options for the sound + you can mellow out the sound with the volume pots. EMG's Maybe? I've done BEAD with a jazz equipped with EMG's and no issues with the clarity of the B-string. And a distorted sound with them was just pure destruction (w. Russian Big Muff).

...or you could take tips from the best in the genre: Stingray (Jeff Caxide, Isis) & Stingrayesque Beater bass (Dave Edwardson, Neurosis). ;)