1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What bass should I buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jm3, Apr 12, 2009.

1. jm3

jm3

Apr 12, 2009
    Hi, I'm a beginner bass player and I'm trying to buy a used bass. I'm considering a Kramer Baretta 422s, a Stuart Spector ns-94, or possibly a Peavey foundation or patriot on ebay if I can find one for low enough. I'm wary of buying online since I can't try out the bass. I have been able to play the Kramer and the Spector, but I'm not quite sure what to look for in a bass. The Kramer is cheaper than the Spector.

The Spector is missing the saddle for the G string, does anyone know where I could get a replacement part?

Any suggestions for which bass to get? Or what a reasonable price would be (used)?:confused:

2. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    The most important thing i can relate to you about buying a bass......is that it is a very personal experience...

I suggest that you go to your nearest music store and play everything they have in stock......ths will give you an idea of what each of them sounds and feels like...

then i suggest that you buy the bass that feels and sounds the best to you.

I have played some $3,000.00 dollar basses that i just flat out could not stand feel or tone wise, and I have played some $100.00 dollar garage sale/pawn shop specials that absolutely rocked....

I wouldn't buy off the internet unless i had a firm grasp of what each of these models sounds or feels like...

Do you have a favorite bass player? What is he or she playing? if you like the looks and sounds of his/her bass tone, this would be a good place to start. Do you know anybody that is an experienced player that you could talk with? What kind of music do you play or want to play? what is your budget?

Welcome to Talk Bass and Good Luck....

of the models you posted my choice would be the Spector...

there are many places that sell replacement parts including the manufacturer...

just type the part you need into your browser and you'll see what i mean

3. Personally I would go with the spector! I had them and I loved them! Saddles and replacement parts can be ordered through spector websites.......

4. Fetzu

Fetzu

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    +1.
    Definately go to a music store and get your hands on as many basses as you can. What feels great in my hands, may not feel great to you. Have fun and enjoy yourself.

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Peavey Foundations are great value for money basses. Best thing is you can pick em up real cheap. Spectors are decent for the money but I found the active pickup sound wasn't for me. As others have said you really must try before you buy whever possible.

6. +2 What the Snakeman said

7. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Try out as many basses as you can and buy the one you like the best.

Get one with a feel that you like, and a tone that sounds good to your ears. While we can make some recommendations, ultimately, none of us know what can tell what the right bass for you is as well as you can.

8. jm3

jm3

Apr 12, 2009
    Thanks for all the help! Apparently Spector only sells the entire bridge, which would cost $80. Is there some other saddle that would work?