Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass should I buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rangerz715, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Hey everyone... I recently started to learn to bass and I am looking for a good begginer bass to buy. I don't want anything to expensive. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    An Essex from Rondo Music would be a good buy, as it is considered good quality for how inexpensive the basses are.

3. Know of any without pickguards as i finger pick... also color preference would be blue.

thanks again

4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Probably a Dean would be a good bet if you want a bass with no pickguard, though you will have to spend a little more money on that. Also, I think some of the Brices basses on the Rondo website do not have pickguards. I think both of those companies have blue as an option.

5. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Two words: Ibanez GSR200. Its cheap (200 brand new from MusiciansFriend.com). Lasted me for about 1 year (just because i decided to get a new one). But it held up perfectly, as long as you take care of it, nothing fell apart, very sturdy. But you'll eventually wanna get a better one, start with this man, its the shiznit, lolz... _-soto-_

6. I read some reviews and they said that the strings buzz alot on the GSR200. Also the pickups are supposed to be very weak. Did you find that?

7. The Yamaha RBX series basses are good beginner basses for the money. I even gigged with mine for a year and still consider it a worthy backup.

8. I've just bought my first bass today... a Tanglewood Warrior II for £225. I tried out quite a few and to be honest with you as a novice I didn't notice much difference between them. I did like the Fender Squier Jazz Bass too but the Tanglewood looks a lot nicer. Not the best reason to buy I know, but all other things being equal... ;)

9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, they are very weak. Better off getting a Essex bass with a pickgaurd (Tons of people don't actully PLAY with a pick, it's just there) and have good tone, then a crappy bass with no pickgaurd.
    Also,

might do a search on "First bass" or "beginner(s) bass", I'm sure you shall find many threads dealing with the subject.

I would recomend,

MIM Fender,
    Essex P or J clone.
    IBANEZ ATK,
    Or a cheaper yamaha, they have gotten better and better.

10. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    You never said how much money you are looking to spend. If you are just starting out, I would recommend that you keep it to less than $500.

I would also say buy used. If you don't mind buying a used instrument, you will be able to buy a better quality instrument.

My biggest recommendation is, try a whole boatload of basses before you settle on one, or you will regret it.

11. I would spend 300 at most but i really prefer something closer to 200. The bass would just be for practicing and jamming with some friends as im not using it for gigs or anything.

12. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Okay Ranger. Here are a couple of suggestions from someone that has made an art out of playing bass on a budget.

OLP; Music Man copy. Very playable, the 4 string retails for about $230. Try a couple before you settle on one to buy.

Ibanez SR300DX. For as much a people turn their noses up at Ibanez, they make some fine gear at reasonable prices. $279.

Squier P-Bass Special. Made by Fender, $219.

ESP LTD, B104. $280.

Yamaha Attitude. I have played it, not too shabby IMO; $270.

Fernandez Retrospect: $220.

Good luck Bro'

13. Just because it has a pickguard doesen't mean you have to play with a pick, however, that said I'm with you I don't like pick guards on basses. My suggestion would be an Ibanez. Yes many people turn their noses up at them and Yes they are made in Korea or something like that. To start out find a bass that is comfortable for YOU!! that has a good sound and looks the way you want. Actually there are a lot of lower end basses to choose from and truthfull I have noticed very little difference in them other than looks.

14. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Rangerz, if ya gave a price rage you might get some better responses as to what to get. I'm surprised pollybass didn't say GET A SPECTOR!!!;)

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Squier P Bass package

Ibanez GSR 200 jumper pack thingamajig

Anything by Essex

MIM Fender p or j
    -------------------------------------------

Any of those. and if you get just a bass and no amp, get a Carvin!

16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    shhhhhhhh, their all mine.

17. price range is 100-300 but i would prefer 100-200. how much do spectors go for? maybe ill get one from pollybass.;)

18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    ......*polly crys like a baby.*

Maybe I should have said "I WANT THEM TO BE all mineeeee"

19. Well i went to the Spector website, I gotta admit that they do look pretty nice. Especially in the mettalic blue.

Good luck on you collection Polly Bass.;)

20. Mountain Haze

Mountain Haze Guest

Apr 1, 2003
    Upstate New York
    I just picked up the Fernandes Retro. 4 and for the money,$220, you cant beat it . It sounds great and it"s well built.