Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what bass should i get

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thewalrus81, Sep 20, 2003.

1. thewalrus81

thewalrus81 Guest

Sep 19, 2003
    Dallas TX
    ive been playing for about a year and a half and i currently own a squire p-bass. ive been looking around for something new but im not sure what to get. if anyone could suggest anything in the 600-800$ range thatd be great

thanks

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Definitly look at the Mexican Fenders... those are AWSOME. Some even prefer a MIM Deluxe J over a MIA J any day of the week. (meh)

Take a look at music man SUB's. Those are about $800 bucks... Ibanez has some awsome stuff at that price range.

Warwick Rockbass is amazing stuff. I have not found anything by Rockbass that I have not absolutely loved.

Any of those would be perfect for you.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    There are a lot of great new and used basses in this range for you to upgrade to. Without knowing more about your style, needs, and musical taste, I'll just list some of the more popular choices for you to check out on your own:

NEW

Carvin
    Fender MIM (made in Mexico) Jazz/Precision
    MTD import basses
    Peavey
    Yamaha

USED

Fender Jazz/Precision (MIA-made in America)
    Ernie Ball Music Man Sterling/Stingray
    Lakland Skyline series
    Cort-Elrick import basses
    FBB custom

These are only a few names (and I'm sure you'll hear about many more here), but it should be enough to get you started. Good Luck!

4. thewalrus81

thewalrus81 Guest

Sep 19, 2003
    Dallas TX
    alright thanks

i have a friend who has a bc rich warlock and he seems pretty happy with it.

anyone know much about the quality of bc rich basses?

5. unless it is an 80's Eagle bass on ebay, I honestly don't care too much for BC RICH

6. thewalrus81

thewalrus81 Guest

Sep 19, 2003
    Dallas TX
    i looked at the rumblefish and it looks nice and its in my price range but ive never heard of rumblefish and i dont know whether there any good or not

do any of you know much about rumblefish?

7. I've owned one for 5 years, and it's the best bass I've ever had. In the time that I've had it, I've also owned basses by Warwick, Modulus, Alembic, Fender, etc., and they're all gone now. I even had an expensive Jazz-style bass custom-built for me, and while it's a great instrument, the Reverend still is my favorite. I strongly urge you to check one out. They don't have a dealer network so you have to order one sight unseen from Reverend, but you also have a trial period in case you don't like it. If you do a search in this forum, you'll find a few other threads with some other people's comments. Several people here have them and really like them.

8. those basses do sound orgasmic, for me, it's just cosmetic things keeping me from getting that bass....

9. thewalrus81

thewalrus81 Guest

Sep 19, 2003
    Dallas TX
    ok thanks ill check it out

10. thewalrus81

thewalrus81 Guest

Sep 19, 2003
    Dallas TX
    would you recomend the rumblefish or one of the other reverend basses

11. Spector Professional Series

12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    used Rickenbacker!

13. speaking of Rics, what about that Greco

14. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    who in their right mind would prefer a mex over an american bass ? i've seen it all now !
    mexican fenders are ok for a someone who likes to adjust the neck weekly,file the ends of the fretts down as not to get scratched by them,or who has not a single ounce of brains in their head.
    Yes you can find a good one,but its like looking for a needle in a haystack,save yourself the headache and get a highway one series or a japanese fender and put your troubles to rest.
    A MEXICAN FENDER ? PALEASE !

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

Do a search buddy, you will find that we at TB love our mexicans.

16. If you're looking for a 4-string, they only make one model.. the Rumblefish P-J. They phased out the 4-string with J-J pickups, which is what I've got. If you want a 5, there's the Rumblefish 5, which has J-J pickups, and the Brad Houser, which has two Music Man-style pickups with separate controls for each. Check out the Web site.. http://www.reverenddirect.com

17. Dude you can get a MIJ Marcus Miller Fender Jazz for a little over $600. I recently got one of these bad boys, in my humble opinion it's the best bass you can buy in this price range.

If you want a delux Fender J or P bass, go for the highway series (highways are delux, right?), they cost less because they use a different paint or something. They kick just as much ass though.

18. I almost bought a highway one today, but the body was SO DARN LIGHT. So i bought a mexican instead, and saved two hundred some. If you want something more exotic, seriously consider the rumblefish, i think i played one a year ago, but it could have been a one off or a custom job. If you don't like that.... buy my ibanez EDA900. I'll sell it for $500.

19. thewalrus81

thewalrus81 Guest

Sep 19, 2003
    Dallas TX
    ok thanks

would i have to order the reverend from the site, or do they sell anywhere else