What bass should I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soundwall, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Soundwall

Aug 26, 2005
    What bass should I get? I play in a band and I have been playing bass for about 2 years (but I have played other instruments for about 8 years). My price range is anything below £350. I am looking for a bass suitable for rock music in general, and also funk.

2. Paul182

May 18, 2005
    If you could find a MIM Jazz for that
  3. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Check out the Spector Legend or a used Spector NS2000/Q4Pro.... :bassist:
  4. Soundwall

Aug 26, 2005
    I've had my eye on a dean edge pro.... can anyone give me any advice on these?
  5. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Nope I would agree on the MIM or Spector and would suggest the new Yamaha BB 414 as well.
  6. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    I definately second the Yamaha BB414 for your style.
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I owned a Dean Edge for years. Mine was a much cheaper model than the "pro" series. You can see me playing it in a friend's home studio in my avatar. I recorded with it and gigged with it. If you like the sound and feel of the Dean you will not go wrong. If it's like mine it will look great, sound great, and never fail you. I can recommend that bass without reservation. A very versatile bass that can get many tones, and damn good ones.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The bassist for Mariah Carey, I just read in Bass Player, uses Dean Edge 6-strings. I think his name is Chooky. Randy Jackson pretty much handpicked this guy to replace him because he was obligated to American Idol. So if he can impress Randy Jackson with a Dean Edge, I guess it must be a pretty good bass.
  10. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Wish Bass. Nuff said :p

11. I'll maybe throw the cat amongst the pidgeons here.......MIM Jazz is a pretty good suggestion (had a fretless one, which didn't last - 'cos I sucked with fretless...), however, I'm gonna put in a plug for a used Musicman SUB - if you keep your eyes open you might find one in that price range on ebay (I got mine new for £470).

Great rock bass, and good for funk (slaps nicely - even though I don't.... :eek: )