Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Bass Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Squnk, Dec 30, 2002.

Which bass should I get?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2003.
  1. Danelectro LongHorn

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Fender Mustang

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Fender Mark Hoppus Signature Bass

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  4. Fender American P-Bass

25 vote(s)
    73.5%
  1. Squnk

Squnk

Oct 20, 2002
    I need a new bass, I have the same squire I Have had for 2 years(I have been learning off and on)and I have come to the conclution I need a new Bass. I have searched through alot and these are the basses I am thinking of getting Danelectro Longhorn, Fender Mark Hoppus Signature Bass, Fender Mustang, or Fender Americian P-Bass. I want to see what you think is the best bass, not what you think is the best bass for me, but what bass do you prefer. Thankx for your help!

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Well, only you can decide whats best for you. Play them all, and make your judgement that way.

Some things to consider;
    Whats your budget? That American P-bass is expensive. Arguably the best built of the bunch, but expensive.

The only problem I have with the Mustang bass, is that the re-issues are $489.00 without a case. You can find used ones on Ebay for less than that-ones from the late 60's, thru 70's vintage. These are American made, usually have a hard case, and are probably built better than the re-issue is.

Try them all, and take your time. Beware of any salesman trying to push one particular one. Hope that helps.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That one.

4. Fender P Bass of course.

5. Of those listed, the American P-Bass all the way. It's quite a bit more expensive than the others, but you are paying for what you get.

I've tried the Mark Hoppus bass, and to me, it just doesn't cut it. It sounds and plays more like a cheap Squier Affinity to me than anything special like a signature bass generally is meant to be. The lack of tonal options (one volume knob!) is, to me, is the bass' major downfall.

Of course, play them all yourself so you can find what YOU like.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What made you choose those four? There are two 30 in. scale instruments and two 34 in. scale instruments.

What don't you like about your Squier? If your Squier is a P Bass type instrument, why not keep it and get something non P Bass like (the Am P and Hoppus both have one P pup)

What other basses have you tried? What type of music do you play and what type of sound are you looking for?

Tell us more and we can help!!!!

7. Indeed.

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Is $$$$ much of an issue? If not, get a USA Jazz bass. I personally like them better than P's If money is an issue, maybe a MIM Jazz Standard or MIM Jazz Deluxe (active electronics) or an MIM Precision Deluxe (passive with J neck & PJ pickups).

My $.02

9. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    word

10. If I had to choose from the four basses you listed, I'd choose the Mark Hoppus. Why? Because the P-style pickups sound ok, and the jazz body looks nicer than any of the others, and the jazz neck would play like buddah.

IMHO - If you like Fenders, forget any of those and get a Fender jazz. Lovable, timeless sound, playability, and style.

:bassist: :cool: :bassist:

How much are you willing to spend??

What style of music do you play?

11. godlikenothing

godlikenothing

May 25, 2003
    IL
    i wouldn't get a Mark Hoppus, to me they just seem overpriced. Have you thought about getting a standard P bass instead of the American?

12. Woah, very old thread. Brought back from the dead. Sucka.