Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what bass should i get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ShaftyMcGee, May 2, 2003.

1. ShaftyMcGee

ShaftyMcGee

May 2, 2003
    hey my first post here, im looking to buy my first bass (4-string) somewhere in the 200-300 dollar range, any suggestions? im planning on learning to slap and play some funk. i want a bass that has a unique look.
    i found one i really liked on ebay it was an orange acrylic see-thru bass very cool, but it was a glaveston and from what i have read they aren't the best guitars in my price range.
    glaveston on ebay

2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Save up another $200 and get an MTD Kingston. They are generally considered the best bass for $500.

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I wouldn't recommend getting a Galveston bass... It looks ok.. but I promise.. looks don't make a bass.. you will more than likely be dissappointed with the sound.... I would also suggest saving another $100-$200 and get an MTD kingston... you can get them used for about $350 or less

4. buy used... you get so much more for your money

5. http://www.carvin.com They're bolt on models are under 500 and they have kits for cheaper, top of the line stuff i tell ya!

6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I will assume that you don't want to wait to save up another $200 and want to start playing NOW! :D

Based on that assumption I would recommend an Essex bass (see the Essex Bass Guitar Megathread a page or two down). For about $99-159 you can get a really nice bass. I also recommend you try Squire or Yamaha. They have some excellent starter models. I have played all three and depending on your taste, you should be able to find one in your price range that you will like. Many here rave about the Essex basses (as nice as an MIM Fender IMO) and they are correct. Buying an Essex would leave you more money for a decent amp which is also equally important to your playing arsenal.