Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what bass should I get

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sexyphatty, Aug 14, 2003.

1. sexyphatty

sexyphatty

Jul 11, 2003
    I currently have a mim jazz bass that has new pick ups and funky wiring... it sounds and plays awesome, but I've been playing it exclusively for 5 years... so I want to get a new jazz bass. I'm looking at all my options and how much I want to spend... should I get another mim jazz bass and have it wired like my other one. or I've been looking at the getty lee and the marcus miller jazz basses too... or should I just realize that since I'm so finicky that I will never find something else I like as much as my current bass and blow the money on a hooker??? jk.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Why not get an american deluxe?

3. I second Fig.

Or better yet, a Geddy Lee jazz. Those things are nasty.

4. sexyphatty

sexyphatty

Jul 11, 2003
    2 reasons...

1.money (if I was going to buy an american delux I would just try to find a '70s jazz bass for the same price..)

2.two years ago they started putting graphite in the neck. I'm now a huge fan of how that changes the tone...

on a side note, the only differance between a mim jazz bass of today and an america bass of 3 years ago is that it was made in mexico. they have alder bodies and american electronics...

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The Geddy Lee and Marcus Miller basses are great, try them if you can.
    My teacher uses a MM and it sounds great (but he says it is a bit noisy and cracks sometimes)

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    [plug mode]

Hey there are some really nice jazz basses on the "for sale" board.

[/plug mode]

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    build a warmoth