Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass should I take ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GrooveMonkey, Aug 1, 2003.

1. MIA P-Bass (Phatty boombalatty)

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. HW1 Jazz Bass

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Warwick Thumb (Grrrrrowl)

29 vote(s)
    60.4%
  4. Take 'em all Doofus!

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. What bass should I take to the National Guitar Workshop next week? I'll be spending a week in CT at the workshop immersed in bass classes and performances. I'm taking my Ampeg B100R combo and I'm not sure if I should take just one bass or more...

2. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    T

Th

Thu

Thum

Thumb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take the thumb all the way man...

3. I'f I was in your place, I'd take the thumb , definately.

4. Whats that thing that I used to use to play crapily...oh yeah, my thumb (on my hand tho ;)) :D TAKE THE THUMB!

5. you should take the one/s that you feel most comfortable playing or that is the most appropriate for the music style you are going to be playing

I dont know just take em all :p

6. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    If you didn't take your thumb, you wouldn't be able to slap.

7. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    in the price range of the thumb there is also the stingray

but i would choose the thumb

8. If I were in your shoes, I would be inclined to take all of them, but if that wasn't an option, I would take my favorite, and of those that would probably be the Thumb!

jtbp

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I took two basses to NGW, and found myself carrying one around. Most likely you won't have much time between classes to switch basses, so either you'd have to carry 'em all around all day, or leave the rest in your room. Depending on your age, it's not so bad...if you're between 17-25 I think, your dorm would be close, if you're older, your dorm isn't too bad, if you're under 17, thats one HELL of a walk. I had to make it a few times daily carrying a Stingray and a 15 watt amp and I swear my arms got longer!

Take one bass, and even if you're against gig bags, bring one anyway. In that case, take your least favorite basses, and of course, your most solid. I brought my 6-bolt Stingray and my favorite SR400, and after a day, the neck adjusted so much on my Ibanez that I had to leave it in the case, and my Stingray stayed perfectly straight. You most likely won't be in a climate controlled dorm.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    And another word of advice, bring something NOT made by Fender...therefore your Thumb. With my Stingray, I was the only one not playing a Fender, and even worse, it was still a Fender design. Bring something unique :)

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"

Make sure you sign up for Bass Choir. It is cool and I'll probably be teaching it. If you are not in any of my classes, please make sure you stop by and hang for a bit anyway

Mike Dimin

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    REALLY great advice! Take the bass that you don't mind carrying/playing for 8-10 hours a day.

Mike

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    REALLY great advice! Take the bass that you don't mind carrying/playing for 8-10 hours a day.

Mike

14. Forget your bass - just take me!

15. NGW rocks man!
    You're gonna be like 10 minutes from my house.
    I took classes with Dave Overthrow who is awesome and brought my own and only bass, my Cort.

I would suggest 2 basses, one to play in classes/show off and keep in the classes(thumb maybe...) and one to fool around with in your dorm room.

What classes are you taking by the way?
    Glenn

PS-
    tplyons when did you go to NGW? New milford right? I was there the very first session for a week. Did i meet you?

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Well the last week of NGW is coming to an end. GrooveMonkey (aka Eric) is great player. He jumped into all playing situations. Held down the bottom end with the best of them. It was a pleasure to meet him, hang with him, and in some small way teach him.

Mike

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I say you spend some much needed quality time with the Warwick. BTW good choice for the amp, its what i use and love.

18. Thanks for the kind words Mike! I had a blast this week!

Next time I'll definetly do the bass choir thing. Sharon hooked me up with enough learning material to keep me in the shed for a long time.

Let me know when you'll be gigging in Saratoga.

Thanks again.