Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Bass Solo To Learn?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bass_player16, May 15, 2005.

1. Hey all, im not sure if this is where this should go, so if any mod wants to move it by all means go ahead. But my question is could some of you guys and gals give me some suggestions as to some bass solos i could learn for a gig my band has coming up. Most people say thepulling teeth solo, but quite frankly i have a week and a half to learn it and its insanly long so i dont want to bore people. any hhelp is appreciated.

Jared

2. conk97

conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    the orion bass solo is very pretty and moderatly easy to play. :hyper:

3. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    ...would be the solo from a tune called "Cold Cuts" by Albert Collins and the Icebreakers. It was recorded live in Minneapolis in the early 80's on an album called Frozen Alive. I can't remember the bass player's name.

4. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    you could play something from stu hamm, country music?

5. golden_boy

golden_boy

Dec 27, 2004
    yeah do a stu hamm tapping solo - theyre easy and always get the crowd going. Do the peanuts theme tune or something :)

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Donna Lee, maybe? With distortion and flange?

7. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    i was at a school show where some kid got up and warmed up with a slap version of "under the sea" before going into his actual song (victor wooten's version of amazing grace)

everyone loved it (both parts)

8. if you can find the version of "Continuum" from Jaco's Invitation album, that's a really straightforward piece and it's lovely.

9. Learn the verse to Muse's Hysteria. It's not really a "solo", but is just as good as some bass solos. Its really solid basswork and takes some time to master the timing. Plus it just sounds downright awesome.

10. Out of curiosity, how does it differ from Continuum on his self-titled album?

11. well, it's pure solo. no other instrumentation. plus his tone is just amazing on this. I think it's a much better and more true version of the piece, but that's just my opinion.

12. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    When Victor Bailey did a workshop at NGW last year, he played Continuum and sang the words he wrote to it (following the insane melody) at the same time. Crazy. And it was on his fretted Fender sig. :bassist:

Anyway, continue, no more of my rambling.

13. have you heard him sing and play "Birdland"? awesome!

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    lemon song

15. good call, brother! probably one of my all time favorite solo sections of any tune ever!

:bassist:

16. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    One of the first solos I learnt to the "t"...

Actually it's funny, that solo really taught me more than transcribing any jazz solo, crazy latin ostinato/montuno, lick/riff ever did.

I feel that I learnt how to play a great motown feel from jpj... funny irony.

17. not really, man. one of John Paul Jones' biggest influences was James Jamerson.

:D

18. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    that makes sense.

if there is a good influence to have... JJ is it.