1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Bass stand would work well for a BC Rich Warlock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Demon, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Can anyone tell me wich one of these would work well for a BC rich warlock? http://www.thomann.de/gruppe-HWGI-0.html?iwid=5
    The warlock isnt round at the bottom, google BC Rich warlock and see. Does any of the stands on the site work well you think? Im unfamiliar with stands, how they work in reality etc. thanks in advance:meh: ;)

2. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Don't know the headstock on the Warlock, but as long as it's not too irregular, the Ultimate GS-100 (the last stand listed at the site you linked in your post) is an excellent stand - the bass "hangs" from the neck holder and the body simply rests against some soft padding on the legs. Very well made, very sturdy, and it pack up super compact. These are my favorite stands.

On both my Ultimates, I've put some fluffy pads that Roger Sadowsky supplies to prevent rubber interaction with the nitro finish of his bass necks. The basses work fine with the padding, but I have a Fender Telecaster guitar with an oddly shaped headstock that wants to "spin" sideways and thereby fall out of the Ultimate when the pads are on. For this particular guitar, the stand called K&M 17680 Memphis 10 at the site you posted looks very much like another stand I use(can't recall the U.S. brand offhand - but I'm sure someone else will, as it's very popular). Basic principle is the same as the Ultimate (i.e., the bass hangs from the headstock and the body rests on the padded legs), but this also has a locking mechanism activated by the weight of the instrument which prevents the instrument from spinning. Overall, I don't like it as much as the Ultimate - the padding on the legs is rubber, the locking mechanism precludes use of the Sadowsky padding, and I don't think it folds up as easily or compactly as the Ultimate -- but it's a very good solid stand.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    How about one of these:
    [​IMG]

Or the wall-mount version:
    [​IMG]

4. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Haha the last ones;D Would look cool heheh^^ Anyway, so you think the last one is worth taking? The headstock isnt any irregular really, only the bottom, its not round, theres like how to say? fangs, pretty much and theres no flat or round surface, so im worried itll touch the ground lol:p But not a biggie anyway, and btw guys, would any pick work well? I wanna try both fingerstyle and pick, so any particular on that site that works nice;) Doubt theres any big diff tho?:p Thanks for help guys:D

5. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    If it's got the regular symmetrical headstock (2 keys on each side), you'll do fine with the Ultimate GS-100. The important thing is that you don't want any stand in which the body of the bass (and especially the bottom of the body) is in any way part of the support mechanism because it probably won't work with the Warlock. For both the stands I mentioned, the support is entirely via the headstock -- the body just leans against the legs and it will therefore work with pretty much any body shape.

6. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
  7. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Anyone;)?

8. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Okay, ive decided the K&M stand, but now the picks, will any work fine? Or is there any particular pick that feels nice:D?

9. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Just a thought but here goes: How about a regular style stand but instead of the U-Shaped support at the bottom just put some sort of single pin in the hole & rest the "VEE" in the bottom of the body on the pin & the top as normal. Anyway, as I said it's just a thought & may not be a good one.:meh:

10. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Nah, ididnt understand what you mean;) Ill go simple, now for the pick and ican order away:)

11. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I think it should still work fine. The Sadowsky's have a similar side headstock (like a Fender). Here's a picture of them on the stands. The one in the middle is like the K&M with the gripper, the ones on both ends are the Ultimates:

sewrjs.

12. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I thought that placing "Bass Stand" and "work well" in the same sentence was forbidden, since its an oxymoron.:ninja:

13. jim1457

jim1457

Mar 29, 2006
    Honolulu Hawaii
    These picks are great. http://www.jimdunlop.com/products/picks/products/tortex/

They have kind of a dry powdery feel that really sticks to yor finger. I like the green ones cause they're easier to find it the dark. Green= medium/heavy guage. I wish I could get that guage in yellow or white...

I used to use a warlock and I always had that stand problem. Maybe you could put a kickstand on it. ;)

14. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    How about a chain saw??

15. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I just bought a couple of Ultimate Support GS-100 stands and I think they're the best thing to come along ever!!

16. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    That hanging stand sounds like it'll work. Although you could always go to the local music store and see...how...

...oh hey! I remember you! You're that kid who asked what kind of bass to get and went ahead with that B.C. Rich. I told you about power tabs. I hope everything's going well.

Anyway, that hanging stand sounds like it should work fine. As for picks, I got some 2mm Clayton ones from my friend (which is to say, I stole them from him, although he never really used them anyway). I say they work great, but it's kinda hard to find a place to put them. So maybe around 1.5-2mm. They have to be thick, or else they won't work too well.

17. Hercules. I know, not on that site, closest ones are the K&Ms, particularly the one at the bottom of the page but it's kinda a crap picture of it.

18. jim1457

jim1457

Mar 29, 2006
    Honolulu Hawaii
    1.5 - 2 mm??? To each his own I guess. I originally liked the 1mm dunlops, but they dissapear fast at gigs. The green is .88mm, I think, and it works fine for me. The yellow is a little too thin, just taste...

wdinc01, you reminded me of a poster I saw once that had various pics used by famous players... you might like the one Dusty Hill (from ZZ TOP) used, it was a quarter that had been laid on the train tracks. I tried it but didn't like it, too slippery/heavy.

19. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    I rarely use picks on bass, but in my experience, using anything lighter than a 1.14 really seems to skimp out on the sound of the lower strings.. it sounds more like they're being scratched by the pick than plucked.

20. jim1457

jim1457

Mar 29, 2006
    Honolulu Hawaii
    JKwo, I believe it all in how you touch it. After I switched to the slightly lighter pick, I began to prefer it. It has a little more feel to it and the tone ain't "scratchy" at all. If anything, I feel like the heavier pick makes more of a "click".

But that's why we have volume and gain knobs, right? To each his own...