What bass to buy......(?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brat, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    OKay. I'm new and I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in. (If it sin't move it or delete it please =D )

I'm new and probablly a youngin over here and I'm interested in playing the bass. I've been wanting too for a while, and now I got my lazy arse looking online for good feedback on a good bass. Now I wish money wan't a problem, but it is. I'm in the 1$ to the 170$ -ish range. (not counting the amp) and I hate to sound like every other teeny bopper bass player in the USA and say "OMG I liek want a punk bass" ....but I want something good for rock, alt, punk, and metal music. Four strings would be nice. =D And size isnt a problem because I have big hands and fingers. I've heard that Ibanez was good for starters or a Yamaha.
    So any good tips or anything would be nice!
  2. DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm sure this post will be moved by the mods once a reply has been posted, but like you say Ibanez is a very good choice. GSR-200 is a pretty sweet bass to be had at a sweet price. I paid 300 when it first came out, but now its down to 200-250 new. I know this is out of your price range, so for you I would recommend going down to a used model or a pawn shop in your hometown. There are a number of specific things to look for in buying a new bass. GO to activebass.com and look at Articles - Buying a New bass, or search the threads here. Some things you will want to be considerate of are: how does it sound? (ask the shop to hook you up and let you play it), are the frets worn down, popping up or messed up in any way? (compare to other basses), Do all the controls work? (tone, volume, ect), is the fretboard cracked?, is the fretboard warped? (look down from bridge to headstock with 1 eye), and is it comfortable to play? (if not, a simple action adjustment may be necessary)
  3. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I would suggest the Squier starter kit... comes with a Precision Bass in your choice of colour, a Frontman 15B amp, strap, cable, gig bag and instructional video with Ray Riandeau (great bassist, IMO). Eventually, when you get more serious about your playing, you will need to get a better strap (a wide leather one is best) and a longer cable (Squier gives you an eight-footer), but this is everything you will need to start. I got one when I started and I still have the bass in working order. I beleive I payed $499 (Canadian, mind you) for my pack. It is worth the extra money you will need to make. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to PM me. Hope this helps. :)

Graeme :bassist:

P.S. If you are ever not sure where to post your thread, just put it in micelaneous forum. Keep Rockin' :)
  4. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

No, this belongs in Basses. Let's move it there.........

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:
  5. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i got a peavey milestone brand new for $180 as my first bass. it was a p bass and was sunburst and cool and stuff. sounded good too. id suggest anything peavey (i am a peavey nut) or an ibanez gsr-200 would work well too. id stay away from squire basses if i were you. i know too many people who have made the mistake of buying a squire bass and later down the road wished they had saved up for a real fender.
  6. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    ESP has some good starter basses as well. I've read good reviews on them in places like bgra.net and bass-guitar-review.com. A good thing about ESP, Yamaha, Samick, and others is that they offer a lifetime warranty on the instrument as opposed to, say, a 1 year warranty like Ibanez does. Whether or not the warranty is necessary is one thing, but it's nice to know that the company stands behind their product for a good duration and won't leave you high and dry after a short time. Also, ESP has a serious reputation among hard rock guitarists and bassists.

Speaking of Samick, I would think some of their starter basses are good too. I recently got a Samick 6-string for a rock-bottom price and it's a great bass.

My first bass was an Ibanez.
  7. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Essex. My $110 Essex beats my $450 Ibanez.
  8. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    oh yeah, what he said.
  9. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Where can I get Essex basses online. I can't find a site. Thanks.
  10. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    buy a P bass and find a good teacher. Gear is a distant second to a good teacher....and listen to everything you can
    get your hands on. Motown for starters..... :bassist:
    Oh, and welcome to the lowend. Practice, Practice, Practice.
  11. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I would suggest the Ibanez GSR200.

My daughter is 14 and she started playing a year and a half ago. She started out on the GSR200 because it wasn't heavy. It was lighter than the squire, and the neck felt easier to play. Although she originally wanted the P-Bass because it looks like the Fender that Mark Hoppus plays.
    I looked over the two (Squire P-Bass & GSR200) side by side and the construction of the Ibanez looked better. The finish quality was way better than the squire. She still plays her GSR even though she has a Fender Jazz now.

You can find them used for around $125.00 from a private seller. You could probably find a used 10-20 watt amp for pretty cheap and stay under your $170.00 budget. That should get you started.

I will leave you with this. Buy what you like. A bass that looks good to you and feels good in your hands makes you want to pick it up and play it all the time.

Good Luck