Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass to buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmahnken@gmail., Feb 22, 2005.

1. pmahnken@gmail.

pmahnken@gmail.

Feb 22, 2005
    I am considering upgrading my current rig and have been using a MIM Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe for about 5 years.

I am looking in the 1000-1500 range and have found the following to consider between (but am always up for other options):

Warwick Thumb 4 body through (used for 1400 at a local store, am not sure what year but it has an ebony fretboard),
    Rickenbacker 4003 (1000ish),
    G&L L2000 or ASAT (1000ish),
    Lakland 44-02 (1050).

I guess I am looking for a bass with a lot of flexibility to play funk, dub, jazz, some slap and finger tapping, and rock. I liked the feel of all of those basses, especially the Thumb, as I really like a smaller jazz neck. Switchable preamps and flexible tone options (knobs) are also nice. I play through an Eden head with a few different cabs, but that doesn't really matter as I might be changing that soon too.

Any opinions will be appreciated, thanks.

Peter

2. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have been really inpressed with Lakland.

3. pmahnken@gmail.

pmahnken@gmail.

Feb 22, 2005
    The bongo was pretty nice when i tried it out, but I think they are pretty ugly.

4. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Upgrading from an Eden cab? What don't you like about it?

5. pmahnken@gmail.

pmahnken@gmail.

Feb 22, 2005
    I like the eden head I have, but I dont like the hartke 410 I have. Im thinking about a new bass right now, the cab wont be for a bit.

6. I'm a big Avatar fan, great sound, quality, and price!!! I run an Eden WT-800 into an Avatar 212 cab, and my fours and fives are very happy.

7. I wasn't too crazy about the looks of the Bongo's at first, but they really have grown on me. The four string dual humbucker is on my GAS list. Almost forgot, they sound GREAT!!!!

8. $1400 is a good price for a Thumb neck-through, even if it is used!

I'd go for that, if I was a 4 string person (and if I had $1400 lying around :p)

9. go for the Lakland... thats what most of the forum is crying out man!
    :bassist:

10. 84Bruiser

84Bruiser

Sep 21, 2004
    I love my MusicMan, I pd $700 used