Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass to buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattsk42, Aug 4, 2005.

1. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

I am going to get another bass. I have just a couple questions. Sorry if they're vague or really "newbie"-ish.

1. 5 string or no?
    I don't mind tuning down at all, and I don't really play many songs that use any lower notes/string. I will never join a professional band, do any recordings, or even do very many gigs. So do I need the extra string, or IS it BETTER to use the extra money on a better 4 string?

2. What should I get?
    I cannot test out any basses as I am 160+ miles from the only place that sells any, and even there there isn't much. I currently own a Peavy Grind bxp 4 NTB. I don't mind the way it is, but I would like a more pop/rock sound, not quite as ringy or jazz like. That thought might just be a case of me not playing or hearing any other basses, too.

As far as music, I play anything other than hard rock or punk type stuff. If any of you have any suggestions at all, go ahead. I can always sell it somewhere if I really don't like it.

Budget is: No more than $250

Thanks guys!

2. Bassliner

Bassliner

Mar 15, 2005
    Rotterdam
    MAAAAAN ;) You living on the moon or WHAT? *lol* :smug:

More pop & rock? Ehm, with that budget I would say something active and asian. Yamaha, Ibanez, Dean or copies. For $250 (around 220 euros) you can't buy anything decent in Europe, but maybe US (or your country?) it's different.
    I would advise you to wait and save up more money actually.

The 5 string thing; You could give it a go. Sounds to me like you don't know why you actually want an extra string.
    Just short:
    Pro: Extra notes, and more positions, and more sounds.
    Con: You need to adjust to it to get the full potential. More expensive string sets ;)

I bought my 5 string ($2300 though) because it's a HUGE allrounder. This was my first and only 5 string and since a couple of months I rarely play on it, and switched to fretless 4 string Jazzbasses. Yes, sometimes I miss the low B-string and I'm keeping it because it's my only fretted and my 'fits to any gig'-bass!

Conclusion to this ramblin: If you never tried a 5 string for more than 1/5 a year exclusively, you can't say if it's gonna work for you or not.

3. I agree. You need to save up a little bit more money before you buy a bass. And to answer you questions about 4 or 5 string...4. 4 strings is all you'll ever need. When in doubt, look to Jaco for your answers.

4. mattsk42

OK thanks for the quick replies! How much would be right? I won't go over 550 because that's a TON of money and I could use it for school. Also, I'm in Pierre, SD, not quite the moon. :D

5. it was only a matter of time before someone said it.

6. mattsk42

So is the general thought to save 'till I get around 400 or so?

7. mattsk42

If I did save to that, what would be some good 4rs to look at?

8. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    With about 300 or so you can usually find a MTD Kingston on ebay. I really like them and they growl like a momma bear seperated from her cubs.

9. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Screw all that. Just call up Alembic and tell them to build you a bass and that money is no object. When you go pick up the bass and they tell you the price pull out your $200 and say "oops I must have left the rest in the car, I'll go and get it." Now this is the important part so listen carefully, take the bass out with you to your car. Get in and drive like you stole it. If Alembic calls and wants its money just tell them that you'll be bringing it over at the end of the month. :D

10. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I already sent him the link for a Kingston with a BIN of $250 (pictured above). He'll have to look long and hard for a better bass at that price.

Bill

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Look towards a MIM Fender Jazz. Used they aren't much over your original price range. The Fender Jazz is probably the best selling bass in the world, and there are alot of good reasons for that.

12. mattsk42

That is what I have been hearing. Anything other than MIM I should look for? I have a possibility of getting a 1996 fender american jazz 5 string for 600, would that be a good idea? I only have 400 to spend, but if that's a really good one/good price, I might be able to get some more money. Right now i'm just looking around for opinions I guess. Thanks! :hyper:

13. get a 4 string american fender jazz man.

only way to be

14. PurpleSushi

PurpleSushi

Jul 26, 2005
    North Dakota
    well minot, nd isn't much better. I have the same delima

15. I'd suggest looking at the SX basses from Rondo Music. I just bought a Jazz bass from them for $140 shipped to my door and couldn't be happier with the tone. It's a great instrument for the price.

By the way, much of the rock and pop you enjoy was most likely done on a 4 string P or J bass. 5 stringers are awesome too though. It just gives you more flexibility if you want or need it.

16. mattsk42

Yeah I might go w/ SX. Is there really a difference in their models, or are all of them basically the same? But I'd like to have a bit higher end if possible for 350 or so.

We're going to Bismark, Fargo, then New Rockford Starting Monday, so I'll be up there! Is there any place in Fargo to try out any?

17. Nirvana4ever

Nirvana4ever

Aug 2, 2005
    First off, with the strings, you should get which ever amount of strings you are comfortable with. If you are going to get a five string, but never use the B, why get it? Test 4,5,and6 out to see which you like the best.

Second, I always recomend Ibanez. Good for both starters and professionals. But, it's not my choice. The best way to buy a bass is to look online for the ones you want. Read reviews, listen to sound samples, and look at features. Then go to the store and test out all the guitars from your list. Have fun and rock out on all of them until you find the right one. Remember, the one you buy should make sense in terms of both money and quality.

Rock on. :bassist:

18. mattsk42

Thanks for all the replies guys! I think I'm going to go w/ a cheap SX one now and save up and get around a 600 dollar one later. I can't test out any bass really anywhere in this state, so I'm going to go cheap and make it work for me. My current bass is ok anyway, but all this advice has DEFINITELY really helped a lot.

:)

19. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Last suggestion. Double the buying power of your dollar - buy a used instrument. The TalkBass Classifieds forum is a great place to get a deal on a bass.