What bass to complete collection?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soundsupport1, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Lakland US 44-51

2. Lakland US 44-64 Classic

3. Rickenbacker 4003

4. Tort adds tonal versatility

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    Heyho peeps,

I currently own a Lakland Darryl Jones 4 - which is a copy of a 1970s Jazz bass (strung with roundwounds)
    I also own a Lakland 55-02 - which is a 5-string fretless fitted with an MM/J pickup configuration. So I have jazz bass and Stingray bass, fretted and fretless, 4 and 5 string already covered.
    My question - what bass should I start saving for next? To complete the set tonally? A split-coil P bass with flats? (the 44-64) A single-coil P bass with flats? (the 44-51) Or go in totally the opposite direction, get away from the Fender sound, and get a famously bright Rickenbacker 4003?

What do you guys reckon? Genuinely interested...
    BTW, can only save up for one at a time, and saving takes a few years!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Spit P soup
    Hofner Beatle bass
    and a Ric.

Those will square up any collection!:)

3. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    Interesting idea with the beatle bass - hadn't thought of going in that direction!
    Also, I'm well aware that on TalkBass, 'You need all of the above' is the standard response to every question, but I can only afford one at a time with a significant gap between each. Ergo, the question is 'What bass should I buy NEXT'?

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I beg to differ. You own a bass with a dual coil pickup somewhere near the sweet spot. You don't have a Ray.

To me, the majority of the Ray sound is the preamp.

So either a Ray or a P bass would round you out nicely.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Hofn
    Yeah, a P would be good.

6. JSandbloom

JSandbloom Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Redding, Ca
    Grace Guitars USA
    Sell all your skylines and get a used US Lakland. The differences seem small on paper, but huge in your hand. You’ll only want to play the US one after getting it. That’s what happened to me.

7. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Play as many as you can.

8. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    interesting ideas, enjoying the discussion!
    part of the trouble is that only the rickenbacker is really widely distributed here, so it's hard to do ab comparisons.
    Also interesting that the 44-51 has only got one vote, while the ricky has 5 - does that mean the trend is actually more for brighter basses than the 'P with flats' that I've been reading about all over the forums?

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Suspended

A collection is never complete, it is always evolving.

jackn1202 and drummer5359 like this.
  10. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

TORT!.png

jackn1202 likes this.
  11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    T40

12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:laugh:

:roflmao:

:laugh::roflmao:

good luck, my friend...it's a slippery slope: asking those kinds of questions here. ;)

:laugh:

13. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

White Falcon Bass.jpg No carrot option, so.. no vote. Sorry... However, to answer your question; the only spot still unfilled in my herd is for a left-handed 34" scale hollow body - not a semi -hollow; a true hollow body - bass. If I can ever find a lefty version of this Gretsch White Falcon, it'll fill the spot very nicely, and my bass buying days will be over...:hyper:

14. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    A hollowbody would be great. The Gretsch above is gorgeous, or the Jack Casady gets high marks around here. Also the Gibson Ripper is fantastic, and you can get 'em with a little use a good bit less than Rick money. Sonically that would be a big jump, open up a wide range.

15. Jeff Scott

My vote for a 34"-ish scale length hollowbody bass would be for a 4005.

16. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Yeah, I'd certainly take one of those... but the only lefty 4005 I've seen for sale is the red, one-of-a-kind 6-string 4005 in Paul's book. Too many strings; I don't like red; and I'm not into one-of-a-kind basses that cost as much as a car...:rolleyes: Besides, I already have a lefty Gretsch Broadkaster. It's the only one I've ever seen, but somebody in the Gretsch Club here is also supposd to have a lefty - so Gretsch did make them, at one time. I just need to find one...:whistle:

17. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    4005 would be nice...but wow, I'm not giving out that much dough!
    I'd say the choice is kinda narrowing down between a 4003 and some kind of hollowbody, which I wasn't expecting!

18. Jeff Scott

Good thing my old '67 4005WB cost me only $175.00 back in 1973. :)

19. I voted Ric - an altogether different sounding bass.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021