What bass to get for $2700

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lewibassist, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Hello.I am looking for the best bass i can get for this money.I have about £1500 in uk pounds.I think that is about $2700 in us dollars.I am looking for a 4 string.I dont have that much knollage on cutom and hand built basses.I would be looking for a hand built bass.I aware that most of the popular custom bass builders are bassed in the us.And not many dealers that deal with these basses are bassed in the uk.I have been looking at f bass,benavente,ken smith and many more.I would like your suggestions on what you think would be the best.all your replies will be greatly appreciated

2. I'd like to know how a 15 year old got that much money o_O !

Lucky punk :bawl:
  3. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    What type of music are you into ? Who are some bassists whose tone you like ?
    I think that $2700 for a 4 string would give you a decent amount of choices even in Europe.
  4. Overwater Basses are based in the UK if I remember correctly. You might want to try those.

5. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    overwater are in england.

and JP is only just over the river in france
  6. True, JP will not be taking orders for awhile though. You can get on his waiting list if you are willing to wait.
  7. Hey

i live in the uk to0o....for that sort of money you could get a custom Sei at a push...but the best place to lo0ok at is the www.thebassgallery.com andgive them a call...GB are the best custom builders in the UK but £2000 is what u will need...but to be fair...your better off getting a roscoe or something from the US and shipping it over....trust the roscoes, Ben'v and the like are just as good as most stuff in the UK (tho i am always biased towards GB) but if u want a really fantastic bass thats on budget i urgeu to get in touch with jon shuker....

amazing basses...great bloke and ur best bet..but if i was 15 i would consider buying a dencet bass and amp for that figure..could have u choice of warwick, fender, yams etc etc and still have lots left over fora decent setup...
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

all good ones there. I was gonna mention the Overwater stuff too. If I was in Europe I'd be shooting the breeze with JP... Heck being in the states I'm still hoping to in the future. I've always had a little GAS for a Wal. $2700 might not quite tame one... but Ritter is on my "Will Own Someday" list as well.

Good luck with the hunt!
  9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

10. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Since you're already in the UK, I'll second the vote for GB. Simply amazing basses and Bernie is a joy to deal with.

Or if you are into a little non-traditional basses, Rob at Status Graphite can make you a wonderful bass as well.
  11. My preference

S A D O W S K Y

Tokyo or Metro line
    used USA/NYC model
  12. Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    $2700 is a lot of money to be dropping on a bass. I'd reccomend using about half that to buy a very nice used bass, elrick, zon, pedulla, roscoe, ect (i don't know what's available en the UK). That way, if you decide you don't like it, you can turn around and sell it for about what you paid. I think before you drop the big bucks on a custom, you should know exactly what you want. It's far to easy to waste a lot of money.
  13. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    go used, and get something that will 'work for you'. At this stage, I would probably say going all out with your own specs is not what you really want to do. But that is just me.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Another vote for Sadowsky :)
  15. Here's 2 suggestions, but there are SO MANY GREAT companies to choose from (all the others mentioned here!!)

JP is in Paris, so maybe you could hook up and discuss your project. You will be overjoyed with either of these guys.