What Bass to get???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mondo, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Mondo

Mondo Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    St. Augustine Beach
    I am about to buy a new bass and have a things that I need help with. 1st I have been playing Ibanez basses for about 2 and 1/2 years now, It is a 4 string bass. I really want to move up to a 5 string bass and have been looking at MTD Kingston Hier or the Kingston 5, Warwick Corrvet 5 and a Spector NS2000/Q5. But I am wondering since I have smaller hands and fingers would this be a good idea for to get a 5 string bass? Also which off the basses I have listed would best suit what I want to play? Which is styles from Jazz, Rock, Funk, and Metal. Some of my Favs. are Tool, Jaco, Victor Wooten, A Perfect Circle, Mudvayne, Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, Deaftones, POD, Black Sabbath, well I think you get my point I am really all over the place. I geuss what I am looking for is feed back about the basses and should I stick with a 4 string since my hands and fingers are small?

Thank you!!!
  2. Mondo, I have what are considered small hands and I play a 5 string.

I own 2, A fender jazz 5 and a squire made by fender 5.

The low B leaves a little to "B' desired but the spacing is good for me.

Don't let small hands keep you from playing even the 6 strings.

Play as many as you can until you feel comfortable with one then buy it!

3. one3rd

Jul 10, 2002
    If you're satisfied with your Ibanez 4s, you could just go with another Ibanez for your 5. But personally, I'd recommend the Music Man Stingray 5. I never had a problem with the string spacing when I switched to 5, and I haven't gone back (even my Acoustic/Electric is 5-string). And although it has a 34" scale neck, it seems to handle moderate detuning fairly well.