What bass to get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by litljonny, Apr 18, 2005.

Which bass do you prefer?

Poll closed Apr 25, 2005.
  1. Carvin LB series

38 vote(s)
  2. Ibanez EDB series

1 vote(s)
  3. Ibanez BTB series

29 vote(s)
  4. Ibanez SR series

28 vote(s)
  5. They all suck

63 vote(s)
  1. litljonny

Apr 18, 2005
    Well, I used to have a Carvin LB70. I recently sold it because I am in need of a 5 string.....yes it wasn't easy. Well, I honestly don't know what kind of bass I should get. I would love another carvin but I would rather not purchase one on ebay and ebay is the only way to afford that kind of bass. I'm looking at a maximum of 600 dollars. I personally slap bass a lot more than I pluck or tap. I played a few basses at a local store. I liked the Ibanez SR405, and I played the edb605....and well, I'll just say not for me. I hear many good things about the BTBs. What are the good models of BTBs or and Ibanez model. Hell, I'll take any 5 string bass suggestions! Thanks.
  2. litljonny

Apr 18, 2005
    why the spector legend 5? (just want to get as much feedback as possible)
  3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    As far as I am concerned, Ibanez has never made, nor will ever make a bass in the same ballpark as a Carvin.

Carvin is currently making some of the best basses on the market. IMO, Carvins are honestly only second to Pedullas and Sadowsky. I recent came the conclusion that I like the Carvin LB45 better than my Lakland 44-02, or for that matter, %99 of the 4 string basses I have ever played. Very few basses even come close.

Buck for buck, Carvins are the best ever. Just ask my bass teacher, who played Pedullas until he had to sell them for the cash. Believe it or not, he says that the difference in tone is pretty insignificant.

P.S. Most people on this forum who will tell you that Carvins suck have probably never played a Carvin.
  4. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    It's the best bass for the price range you are looking at. The Legend series have EMG HZ's with an active EMG pre-amp. The bolt-on neck gives you a seriously punchy tone for slapping. I'm a little biased though :)

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, and everyone has their own, but that's a very odd comparison, and I can easily throw out the names of 2 dozen bass manufacturers better than Carvin. IMHO of course.

I definitely agree with you about that!
  5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I think there is a very undue amount of Ibanez hating around here. I am yet to play an ibanez that was nothing but solid and a good value for the price- maybe I'm just lucky. Some of the newer neck-through SR and SRX models in the $500-$700 range I have played stomp Carvins all day long. BTB's are a great bass for the price, and despite my love and preferance for Spector, I think they are very close in the quality department for the price. The legend series is great, and although I've run into a few lemons, they have been mostly very good. In teh quality department I really think the SRX700 series is neck and neck with the legends (I've played a dozen or so of both). they are very different sounds though, seeign as the SRX has MM pups. I don't like teh soundor look of cravins BTW, but they are quality basses nonetheless. As far as the Pedulla and Sadowsky comment..I think that is obscene amount of blind carvin obsession. As Josh mentioned, there is a whole army of competition that can stack up (and stomp IMO).
  6. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'm a big ESP fan, the 5 string LTDs are around $500 and I think they are great buys. In my testing during my last bass hunt they blew away everything in the price range and stacked up well against Warwicks and Spectors costing about a grand more. I'd give them a look if you can.
  7. If you are looking at an Ibanez and you have the cash, rather look at the pretige models - the bartolini p/u and finish is much nicer... in tone and appearance!
  8. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Why not look into a Peavey too? The Peavey Fury line, for example, look feel and sound like basses many times the price. The 6er I tried was sweet. On that bass, I thought the neck was thin and fast, the pups/preamp were quiet, and I was able to coax a wide array of great tones from it. The low B was decent too.
  9. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    +1 for the Spector Legend 5. You woun't find a finer bass for the money. I have the Legend 4 and it exceeds my expectations by far for a $500 bass.
  10. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    You're comparing an ESP LTD against a Spector Euro? Which Warwick model are you referring to? Normally, I would say to each their own, but that is just ridiculous. Maybe if you made that comparison against a Spector Legend, or a Warwick Rock Bass, because they might be comparible. But the comparison you've made is like Honda vs. Lexus. I'll put my Euro, 4, 5, 5 LX, or 6 LX up against any ESP LTD. I think your perception of quality is skewed.
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Out of the basses you listed, the Carvin is the clear winner in quality and fit & finish.

I am one that doesn't care too much for the sound of Carvins, but then I don't care for the sound of most Ibanez basses I have played, except for the models that have Bartolini pickups.
  12. gottliver

Dec 20, 2004
    and slap a lot then check out their B5. Its a bolt on neck and is in your price range. You can also build one of there kits.
  13. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Get yourself a nice, used G&L 2500 USA or if you're strapped for cash, a Tribute L-2500. $700 - $900 for a nice used, L-2500 USA and $400 or so for a used Tribute. I'd take these over the IbanCheeses. The Carvin's aren't a bad choice either.
  14. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I am a Carvin convert. I LOVE my new B4. I'd suggest looking at a B5, but if you want some more options added onto it, you're going above your $600 price range.
  15. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I voted SR but I'm Refering to the SRX line. I obviously play one and like it a lot. They have a great slap tone to them. I don't think the SRX is all that versatle though.
  16. My vote went for the BTB. I'd heard a lot of Ibanez bashing here at TB, but when I went to the local shop and played a BTB I loved it. I've played many basses since (cheapies to $3K beauties) and feel that the BTB stacks up quite nicely, esp. for the price. I'm glad I followed the advice I got here and played the basses I was considering.

As a side note there is a lot to picking the bass other than just fine finish details. Sound, of course is among the tops, but as others have pointed out to me, feel, look, weight are all important. Something about my bass makes me want to play it--that's what I was looking for in my first instrument.
  17. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    good points Surgeon.. and I'm with you on the BTB. I think it's just not cool to like Ibanez or something.
  18. five or six years ago I thought Ibanez was crap. however recently i have changed my tune. i really like the BTB series and enjoy playing them, even the lastest editions to the sound gear line have been impressive (mahogany body, bart pups) IMO.
  19. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Given that I'm not much of an Ibanez fan (though I do like the ATK basses), I'd go with the Carvin (and Carvins, I like.)