Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass to get

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mhearn, Jul 10, 2005.

1. mhearn

mhearn

Jun 11, 2005
    I have been having a struggle as to what bass i should get.
    I looked at the shecter exotic and decided that I dont think i want that, or any schecter for hat matter. I have been looking at warwicks, but i cant play a bass with out dots on the neck, I have the hardest time doing it because i go cross eyed trying to figure out waht fret i have my finger on with out counting them. I am very sceptical about getting a fender. I dont know if is as good as every one says it is. I only have 1500 to spend.

I am sorry if i sound like an idiot. Maybe i am, but i just want to get the best for my m0ney.

2. heat@500Hz

heat@500Hz Guest

Jun 11, 2005
    Lago Blanco de la Roca
    don't many warwicks have fretboard markers? i'd suggest playing some more instruments and narrowing it down...it may help to think about what kind of music you want to play too, because that could sway your decision :)

3. caruso

caruso

Jun 13, 2005
    Bremen, Germany
    First define the music you want to play or play already. Then go to the next large music store and try out different brands and models. Sometimes one finds what he/she is looking for without knowing it existed.
    Regarding your orientation problem on the fretboard: You can get very good Fender Jazzbasses (70's) replicas or even original ones for the money you can spend. These basses have large block inlays where other basses have the dot.
    Then, of course, there ist still the option of something a little more special, like a Rickenbacker with large triangle inlays.
    And do yourself a favor and contact David King.
    He builds extraordinary basses at an affordable price.
    And don't forget the used market.
    For way under 1500 you can also get a very nice Yamaha TRB 1005, very versatile bass also with block markers.
    Good luck on your quest and enjoy your new tool.

4. mhearn

mhearn

Jun 11, 2005
    IS a rickenbacker good ofr Rock/funk. I am a rock musician, but i do like to play funk an jazz here and there. The rickenabcker looks like apromising choice

5. heat@500Hz

heat@500Hz Guest

Jun 11, 2005
    Lago Blanco de la Roca
    there have been some great players in rock who played rickenbacker--i would assume that the right model would be a good choice for that style :)