Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass to get.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wonderland, Nov 20, 2002.

1. wonderland

wonderland

Nov 20, 2002
    Austin TX
    So it seems like everyone else on this board i need help with finding a good bass to buy =) I'm new to the board, and new to everything regarding bass' in general! I'm a girl, and a beginner. I don't quite know the differences with bass', I don't want to spend a lot of money at all on my first one, but enough money so it isn't crap. Any ideas at all?
    Thanks for your help - it is definitely appreciated!

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Howdy Alice. Can you give us some more details? Like what's your price range, what kind of music do you like/might want to emulate, have you played any you like, ect.

And, for a matter of fact, how big you are. Some smaller framed people have trouble with the long scale basses.

3. wonderland

wonderland

Nov 20, 2002
    Austin TX
    haha, not alice but clever =) Hm, well for the bass i'd like to not exceed about 250 i guess. i'm 5'7'' but not large. pretty average frame, just taller than most girls. i really like rock and punk, and i've also never touched a bass. after i get some ideas of ones to look into, i'm going to go and see what i prefer. hopefully this info will help! thanks so much!

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ah, here's a resource for ya! And Bunny Bass is well respected, don't let the semi-cutesy layout fool you.

Clickety!

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I hear Essex (SX) basses over at Essex are real winners and are worth way more than they charge for them. Either a Presicion or a Jazz, take your pick. Cheap, but worth just as much as a Mexican Fender.

Hell, we got some guys that play with big toys ($2-3000) that use em. Should tell you something.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The intelligent advice is tell give you suggestions on what to try in local music stores.

But you've been a "bad TB'er" and didn't fill out your profile. So, by not knowing if you're in Surinam or the Azores, we don't know what you might be able to try in your locale.

So - Let's get on the ball or get on the bus!!!

One thing I can tell you - at just $250, don't even think about anything new. Carefully selecting a
    "Used" bass is your neighborhood.

7. wonderland

wonderland

Nov 20, 2002
    Austin TX
    haha i will update it then, i'm a newbie is all =) but, alas. i'm from austin tx - the live music capital of the world!

brenden thanks for all the great resources! big help!

do yall recommend 4 or 5 frets for now?

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Pawn shops are your friend. They usually carry decent basses at fractions of their real cost...but as a beginner, it might be a bit difficult to get ahold of a decent deal, because you wouldn't know good from bad, too much vs. deal...

No offense, Rick, but as a absolute beginner, I'd have to vote new, or at least purchased from a music store (returns, warrentee, ect). Selecting a winner used...well to a biginner "sounds great!" might be your or my crap...

And used, at 250, what would you suggest? I'd shoot for a MIM Fender, or a Cort Curbow, maybe A Peavey Milestone of some sort...

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    4 or 5 Strings. Strings, Alice.

Your pick. I'd start on 4. And take lessons! Lessons are more valuable than the bass.

10. wonderland

wonderland

Nov 20, 2002
    Austin TX
    lol my ignorance shines through brilliantly =D

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    All gotta start somewhere.

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Contrary to what Mr. Moderator says, (Jeez I love tweaking them sometimes!.....thankfully Brendan is a good sport and open minded), a used bass from a music store will typically be backed up by the dealer and checked by the dealer before they but it or take it on a trade in.

Austin, no doubt, has many fine sources. But, here's one I can recommend in your budgeted area from Buddy Rogers Music - as Brendan says, an MIM Fender (a decent Jazz like 5'4" Cheryl Crowe uses for $299 before you talk them down to your $250 to be precise) - http://www.buddyrogers.com/usedgear/gu/

I only wish I could have started out on something this decent when humans discovered fire -

[​IMG]

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

14. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    well.. I do believe Brenden has said it best.. covered alot of areas...

I would also suggest an essex bass, I have not played them myself, but alot of these cats here praise them as being one of the best bass for the $ around..

15. wonderland

wonderland

Nov 20, 2002
    Austin TX
    Thanks so much guys! I was wondering what you thought of the Essex BG-80 and the Essex SPB62MG? if anything at all.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The Essexes are pretty good basses, and an excellent choice for beginners.

Either one is a pretty decent choice, and I don't think either would be a bad way to go. Personally, I'd lean toward the BG-80.

17. wonderland

wonderland

Nov 20, 2002
    Austin TX
    I've been looking around, what do you all think about a Squier Affinity P or an Ibanez GSR190?

18. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Alice, I'd pick up the Squier Affinity in a heartbeat. Had one, was a decent bass for the price. That's the bass I had my students working on. All the Ibanez low-end basses I tried were close to absolute crap.

Hope this helps,