1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What bass was it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bad Sir Ivan, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Bad Sir Ivan

Bad Sir Ivan

Mar 28, 2013
    First post.... And I feel like you guys are going to rip me to shreds for this but here goes...

A friend and I were discussing old times (our bass playing peers of the 80's to be precise) and neither of us could remember the name of a bass that one of our buddies played. We've since lost touch with the guy so we can't ask him.

I have no pics so I'm hoping that the plethora of bass knowledge found in this forum can help us identify it based on my description.

It had a small body (nearly Steinberger small) and had two small blade-looking protrusions near the bottom of the fretboard giving it a loose resemblance of some kind of medieval weapon, which I don't believe was the intention. If I remember correctly, they were all produced with a silver finish and was black under the strings. It looked metallic. It may have been headless but memory fails and I can't be certain.

Ads for them were in every issue of Guitar Player in the mid/late 80's but I don't recall ever seeing anybody on MTV playing one.

Sheesh.... I guess that's all I got. Can anybody venture a guess based on this description?

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Kramer, Washburn and Hondo all made small-bodied basses in the 80's. Maybe checkout Ibanez Axstar as well, although they may have been later....not too sure.

3. Hi.

Yamaha BX-1?
    Westone RAIL?

Regards
    Sam

4. Riverhead??

unicornseries.

i had one of these wayyy back it was cool as hell.

5. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I'm thinking you win this one man! :)

6. Bad Sir Ivan

Bad Sir Ivan

Mar 28, 2013
    Thanks for the effort, guys.... but none of these are the bass he played.

:rolleyes: I spent three hours on Google last night looking for a picture.

I've attached a very bad drawing of my very rough memory of the shape. Maybe that will help.

Attached Files:

7. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    The sketch reminds me most of a Staccato MG (1985-87):

5859466staccato.

8. Ouch! That is one butt ugly bass!

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    ...Which I would totally rock! :D

10. zfunkman

zfunkman

Dec 18, 2012
    What you're describing sounds like a Dan Armstrong.

11. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Westone?

12. nikolozj

nikolozj

Dec 15, 2011
    very....... phallic :bag:

13. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

…yet, perfect for a Manowar tribute band! :bassist:

Father!
    Father!!
    FATHER, I LOOK UP…TO YOUUUUUU!!!!
    I HEED THY CALL!!

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Nope. The Armstrong did have symmetrical horns, but they were not blade-like, and the body was not at all squarish the way the OP described. Looked nothing like the sketch he made.

15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

I gigged one of these for a while. I THOUGHT I looked cool!:bag:

16. Bad Sir Ivan

Bad Sir Ivan

Mar 28, 2013
    The Staccato! That's it!

Yeah, I knew the drawing was going to be off because I was trying to remember a bass I last saw about 25 years ago. Sorry for the inaccuracy but the drawing did the trick!

Thank you, cdef and everybody else who tried to help. My buddy and I can proceed through life peacefully now!

17. Bad Sir Ivan

Bad Sir Ivan

Mar 28, 2013
    Wow... Google produces a lot of interesting facts.

Staccato instruments are made of a Magnesium alloy. To this day, Staccato is the only company that has ever produced instruments of this material.

I now recall having seen Gene Simmons play one. Apparently Lemmy of Motorhead did as well. Although these instruments appealed to the metal crowd, it was Mick Jagger and Bill Wyman who originally financed the company. Would've never guessed.