Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass would be considered the opposite of a P bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scooch, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Scooch

Scooch

Mar 11, 2005
    I'm making the decision of what my third bass is going to be (I have a Yamaha RBX 170 and a Mike Dirnt P-bass.) I'm looking for basses to try out that are nothing like my P-bass so I can have a bigger range of options of sound. I'm looking for anything from 400-1000USD. Thanks.

2. I'd say a Rickenbacker 4001 or 4003.

Very non-Fender tones.

Mike

3. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I agree about the Ricky. Or maybe something along the lines of a Hofner? Or even an EB-3, add some mud in there to contrast with the P's clarity.

4. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I think my opinion is biased, well actually I know it is biased, because I own one, but a Ernie Ball HH bongo. By far the most versitile bass I have ever played. You can def get sounds close to any bass sound you want. Although I have not tried to get a p-bass sound, I'm sure you could even get that.

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, "Precision" definitely is not Wish's forte. ;)

I think Rickenbacker is a good answer...

7. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I don't think there is such a thing as an opposite, but I would recommend something with a couple of large soapbar pickups, like the Peavey Cirrus BXP, or the Yamaha TRB1005.

8. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    Nah a Thunderbird sounds less like a p-bass than a Rick

9. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Music Man Basses have a very different sound than a P imo. Definatly look into some of the Bongos at GC for like 700 (what a steal... i wish i had 700...). Try to build something yourself, it helps you understand and appreciate a guitar MUCH much better. I know ebay has some bodys for cheap, (alder and ash). Possibly a "j/j" pickup routing, but its a fender routing, but with the right pups (mmmmm nordies) you make it VERY nice.

10. I'd go for a Ric 4003 too.

The P bass is as basic and uncomplicated as it gets, while the Ric 4003 has so much going on variety of tone-wise, it's brilliant.

And they look sexy, too.

[​IMG]

Alternatively, a Warwick.

11. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Since I'm a P bass nut, I would have to say anything the opposite of a P bass would be less than a P bass. ;)

Maybe something with active soapbar pickups? and fretless?

12. How bout a used MM Bongo!!

13. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    A stingray or a Lakland Skyline (with the MM+J setup) would make an awful nice compliment. If you really want "opposite" you could try to go even more modern sounding, but I'd say anything with a bridge pickup and an onboard preamp would qualify as sounding nothing like a P, and help you cover some tones you can't get with a P.

or maybe a warwick ... lots of options around $1000 if you shop used.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Alembic. Go from simple to 40,000 knobs.

15. The opposite of a P-Bass would be the absence of a P-Bass. Quite frankly, I'm surprised no one thought of this before. But then, we are all busy watching for the qintar.
    Incredible

16. If you go with a Rickenbacker (sp?) you should get the 4003. I've heard some terrible things about the necks on 4001's but I've never had the chance to play one for myself. Enjoy your new bass!

17. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'd have to say Bongo as well. They're just crazy. Then again, it seems to be love/hate with the bongos; so they might not be your bag of beans.

If that be the case, check out a sterling or a jazz.