What bass would you bring when trying effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by coffee-sipper, Aug 26, 2004.

1. coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    If you own a passive 4 and 5 string and an active 4 and 5 string, which bass or basses do you use to trial new effects? I guess what I am trying to ask is if you where to test out an effect what would be more of a test active vs. passive or 4 string vs. 5 string? Would a 4 string active bass and a 5 string passive be a good testing base or would you rather hear active vs. passive?
  2. which bass do you play the most?

i'd use that one
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd bring the bass with which I plan to use the pedal.
    I guess :confused:
  4. well depending on the tunning you use the 5 strings are gonna test out lower frequency notes which i guess is usefull but mainly i'd be interested in taking the bass i know the natural sound of the best! active vs passive i would have no idea only play pasive right now
  5. coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Ok let's make things completely hypothetical.

If you were to make an on-line purchase of a pedal, that is not available locally, and the web site selling said pedal had 2 sound samples available:

The un-effected bass tone
    The effected bass tone

What would you want the bass tone from - an active/passive 4 string or an active/passive 5 string?

Or does it not matter??
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Some effects really don't like active or passive basses.
    Some others can't stand a low B.
  7. i know i am not helping you at all, but i am going to say it again...

what bass do you have?

i mean, if you've got an active 4, than the passive 5 sound sample isn't really going to help.

you know what i mean?

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'll agree with the guys here, if you mostly play active then take the active 5 string bass..

I've played several effects which sound AMAZING with a passive bass, but which get overloaded by an active bass. If it sounds great with an active bass, it should sound great with a passive bass. The reverse isn't always true.