what bass would you buy with 2000 dollars?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Dec 3, 2003.

1. just curious. for my birthday/extended christmas present my mom said i can get a new bass and the price limit is 2000. i plan on getting the conklin groove tools Bill Dickens signature 7 string, but im also open to 6 strings if one catches my eye. so whats your suggestions?

EDIT: and yes, used (new condition) would be an option
  2. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    modulus or peavey. something with a graphite neck.
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    That would be a nice bass, but are you sure you can handle it? According to your profile, you play /played Fender 4s (maybe 5s, too?). A 6 has a neck wide enough and a range extended enough to start with - thats only from my experience, so take it as that.

Which bass to get? I would pick a Warwick Corvette Proline 6 in ocean blue, but thats only out of my shape/loooks/sound preference - and because it is way cheaper in Europe... You have many more options where you live, and you can even try basses i cant even see here.
    Maybe a Roscoe? Modulus? Zon? other custom 6 or 7? etc ther will be others here who know better, so wait for them to check in
  4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I would save a little more and buy a Sadowsky or a Ken Smith.
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Pete Hanewinckel has an exceptional Pro 6 fretted bass that can be had for $2K. It's a somewhat older style bass but brand new. I almost bought it a few weeks ago when I got my Draken Pro 6. It's hard to imagine a better sixer for the money. Contact Pete via his website at www.hanewinckelguitars.com for details, wood combinations, tax, shipping, etc.
  6. You can get a used sadowsky for that. Easily
  7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I'd check the classifieds on this site. There are some fine Curbows for sale for dirt cheap.
  8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    buy 20 SX P-basses
  9. If you will consider used, for a 6 string I would look for a used Zon, Modulus, Tobias or Curbow. I really don't know of a great 6 string that you can get for that price that is new.

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

That will get you a new Sadowsky Tokyo or a preowned Sadowsky NYC.

11. if u just wont my view just get a basic musicman

there amazing :D
  12. wow, you guys are making my head spin! so many to choose from! question though, does sadowsky make 6 strings? i dig their stuff but i've never seen a 6er by them. those hanewinckels look nice too. time to do some researching...

*and i haven't forgot about you're site either JPJ :D
  13. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Defedldus, are you sure you want a 6 or 7 string to play on?? Do you have a specific reason for a 6 string or 7 string? What type of music are you playing??? Think about speed as well when choosing a 6 or 7 string.
  14. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I would buy 2 or 3 Basses with that much.:)
  15. This.

And i swear, if its still there by spring, its as good as mine :D
  16. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive got my eyes set on a Musicman Stingray, so if i had money, id get that. I plan on gettin a job in the summer, and by the end of the summer i should have enough money.
  17. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    lefty extended SC 6 from Matt (FBB)!

18. Cirrus 6, pocket the change.
    Here's mine,$1299 new with a case. Sorry about the pic,bad camera,bad photographer.
  19. Oops the pic was to big. Lets try this.
  20. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    a conklin gt-7 with an updated aguilar preamp so it would have a three band e.q.