Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass would You dare to buy untried?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by norseman, May 8, 2004.

1. norseman

norseman

Feb 19, 2004
    Norway
    I'm looking for my 2nd bass. Since I live far away from
    any instrument shop, I've decided to order a bass from the U.S. Another good thing would be that I save a lot of money, doing it this way.

My question is, what bass (of these alternatives) would You dare to buy untried if You had to do it?

- Fender Jazz Geddy Lee Sig.
    - Fender Deluxe P Bass Special
    - Tribute by G&L L-2500

My budget is limited to $650 USD. So if anyone can recommend another gem for this price, I'm eager to hear about it.
    Versatility, is what I'm after.

2. probably the geddy lee. to me it feels alot like american jazz basses, and sounds great.

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'd feel comfortable ordering either of those Fenders, if I knew that was what I was looking for. I would want to try the G&L first, but I feel like it would be OK based on opinions here.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Geddy.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You've got three good choices there. Honestly, it's pretty hard to buy a bad instrument these days. Even the Chinese imports are good. Go with whatever you feel you will like best; I doubt you will get a lemon.

6. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Definately consider the Hwy1 Jazz for that money. Very nice bass!

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Good thread topic. As for you specific question, I think you'd be OK with either other three. :)

8. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Geddy!!!! - I've got one.
    Geddy - great bass.
    Geddy.

psst...Geddy. :bag:

9. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    the 3 Geddy Lees i've tried new out of the box were PERFECT.

the ones hanging on the wall for any length of time were less than remarkable.

get one untouched and you will be amazed!

side note: all 3 of my Sadowskys i bought without playing them. GODSEND!

f

10. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    NOT THE P BASS SPECIAL! The one i played was jank, it made me cringe! I've never played a G&L so i guess by process of elimination you have the geddy bass. However i find for alot of fender signature series models you pay for the name fo the artist not so much the quality, ie; YJM strat, Jaco bass, (it's good but i don't know why it has a price tag of $2100.00 CDN) I think you could maybe try a Carvin. The basic bolt on 4 string passive model is like 560 i think, and you can add a few custom stuff if you want, shipping is only 20 bux (which you pay twice and they pay taxes and import fees.) you could also maybe try a Warwick or Spectro (but I don't really know the price of those).

Hope this helped

BAker

11. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    geddy... :ninja:

12. I would never order a G&L Tribute without playing it first. You get some good ones, and you get some bad ones.

13. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Okay... so I'm a little biased. I love my Geddy. But...they are the best playing Fenders I have ever tried. I agree with fhodshon - get a brand spankin new one. I've NEVER tried a better bass in this price range. (prepares to get flamed.)
    They have.. great action, very nice pickups, my favorite neck - shaved thin Jazz, block inlays (yummy), and the BAII bridge already installed. You won't be disappointed.

Best Choice = geddy.

14. norseman

norseman

Feb 19, 2004
    Norway
    So, has the quality control at Fender improved?
    I've heard a lot of horror stories about the MIM's. I know the Geddy is MIJ, but I'm not sure where the P bass special is made.

I think I've read somewhere (not sure where, though) that the Tribute G&L's is assembled in the U.S.,
    and are properly tested before shipping out. Doesn't this make them a safe buy?

15. I´ve heard those stories too, but to be honest, my experiences don´t support them. I was in the same situation a while ago, looking for a moderately priced backup bass. I found a beautiful MIM Jazz in a German online store, but I was reluctant to buy an instument without trying it out first. But then I took a tour in local music shops and played just about every MIM Jazz I found. To my surprise there wasn´t a single lemon among them. There were minor differences in sound, but I would have felt good buying any one of them. So I went and ordered the pretty one (you can see it here) and wasn´t disappointed.

Now I am the first one to admit that I don´t have "Golden Ears" or "Silver Fingers" , I´m more of a "if it has four strings, I can play it alright"-type of guy. I am sure that people with more experience with high-end instruments and deeper insight in luthiery can find more differences between MIM Jazzes. And even I can feel and hear the difference in quality between my new Jazz and my hand-built Neuser. But overall I agree with Benjamin: truly horrible basses are hard to find nowadays. I´m too impatient to search for that elusive "really good one" if I can have a "pretty good one" right now. In my hands they´ll sound the same anyway ;)

Sorry ´bout the rant...

16. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    If I still played 4's, I'm 99% sure that I'd have a Geddy Jazz in my arsenal. :cool:

17. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    ....I'd buy anything as long as it can be played....[​IMG]

18. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Current production P bass specials are made in Mexico.

19. Sprudellio

Sprudellio

Oct 16, 2002
    Germany
    I ordered my Geddy Lee without having it played first. Good decision :cool:

20. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I bought my Geddy Lee Fender Jazz, before I ever tried one.
    I ordered it and figured if I didn't like I would send it back.
    But it stayed, thus I totally dig it.