Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what bass would you recomend? (g&l or spector)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve-o, May 14, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    my local music store has a 1983 sb-2 (g&l)
    it is black, worn a little scartches but no chips.
    with a maple neck.
    or a korean spector. neck through. emgs. 4 string.
    natrual in color.
    what bass would good for $425?
    i play everything so what would be better?

steve

2. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i have the spector you speak of..

its really great. versatile tone...

..my advice?? play them both and pick whichever you like.

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    why do you like the spector?

4. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    well, first of all, you can get pretty much any tone you want. i even played an orchestra gig with it (i usually have to use URB) and it did THAT well.

spectors are known for both their slap and heavy metal tone, and just that recognition shows you how versatile they are. i really can get a good tone for ANY kind of music, and its a really good all around bass. the quality is good too, it just feels very solid and well made.

check out harmony central reviews-
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/Spector/NS2000-4-01.html
    i wrote the one on the bottom

but again, i dont like telling other people what to do with their money...just go play them both and then YOU tell US what you want.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'd go for the Spector too. I've got a Korean REX2000/5 and it's one of the best value for money basses I've got. I've also got a Czech Spector - the main cost saving in the Korean one is in the quality of finish and the electronics. But even the EMG - HZ pickups are superb!

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i think that is what i am going to do.
    it is a natrual now.
    but i can get it painted.
    should i get it painted?
    what pick ups shuold i put in it?
    is $425 a good price?
    steve

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    here it is but with no quilt top
    [​IMG]

8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    even a better pic[​IMG]

9. Oh my god! That last pic was one of the most beautifull basses I've ever seen.:eek:
    I love the NS-shape and I love natural finnishes. These two features combined... ...mmmmmm

10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    well that is the bass i am going to get
    but the finish on the one i am getting as more of as glow to it more amber color!!

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Only get it painted if you really want it a different colour!!!!

AS for pups - see how you get on with the EMG - HZ pups and on board pre-amp. I'm very happy with the tone from mine and have no intention of changing them. I guess you could always upgrade them to the EMG DC pups that are used in the Europena series and the Aguilar OBP-1 preamp that they use on the European ones - but see how you get on with it as is! I doubt you'll be disappointed!

As for price, my REX2000/5 cost me £665 ($930), and I think it was worth that!

12. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Hmmm..you are comparing a Korean cookie-cutter with a hand-made American bass by Leo Fender himself...I wouldn't even think about it.

13. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    what i think i am going to ask the guy if i buy one and i don't like if i can trade it for the other bass.
    do you think that this will work?

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    occasionally.

That's something you should do in the store, if you have the chance.

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm..you think Leo built this exact model with his own two hands? Last time I checked, Leo had been gone for several years.

Besides, every Spector made goes through a QC with Stuart Spector himself. Anyone who thinks he doesn't do an amazing job, to say the least, is nuts!

16. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    That G&L is from 1983. Leo Fender died March 21st, 1991. No, he didn't make it, but a person made it, and Leo checked it. Not saying that Spector is bad, but CNC-cut Korean bass is just in a different league to a hand-made bass, regardless of who did the final inspection.

17. MutronIII

MutronIII

Mar 13, 2002
    As a Spector owner, I'd say go with the G&L. At that price it's a steal, although it may not be your style. They are VERY different instruments. Sure the Spector is versatile, but it also sounds very modern. The G&L sound more like a Fender, and the truth of the matter is that 90% of the time that the sound that works. I like my Czech NS4, but none of the korean models I've played measure up to a G&L.. BTW, I'd be very surprised if Stu Spector actually did his own QC on each and every korean model..

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Why would you be surprised? He told me this over the phone. From his mouth. Think he'd lie?

I don't.;)

19. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What difference does it make if a bass is made on a CNC machine or not? A lot of high end basses are made on CNC machines!

20. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Well..usually it makes about a $1000 difference, often more :)