Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Dudie, May 2, 2004.

1. Dudie

Dudie

Apr 26, 2004
    Sweden
    Any suggestions? Its said to be a german hybrid-bass. Age unknown.
    So what bass can this be? Does it look good? I know its hard to say from a picture but maybe there is something...
    :help:

Planning to buy this one as my fist DB

2. It's a very small picture but it looks nice to me, but then again what the **** do I know ?

If you've shopped around and you like it, and the sound is pleasing to you, and your teacher and your luthier approve, then what do you need my opinion for ? Buy it.

If you haven't shopped around and you don't have a reference as to the sound quality, and you don't have a teacher and you don't have a luthier, well then ....

Then again, just my $.02, what do I know.

3. Dudie

Dudie

Apr 26, 2004
    Sweden
    Thanx for the answer! But...

Maybe stupid :oops: but is there a way to tell, from a photo like the one i posted, what kind of bass it is? (Maker, age or quality)

I know that you have to listen to it, but maybe there is some visible signs

Thanks

4. Maker - probably not from those pictures although educated guesses might narrow it down a little. Most makers put a label inside that is visible through the f holes--check and see what you see.

Age - probably not. The glossy finish suggests it might be a newer bass but if it has led a sheltered life it could be several years old.

Quality - define quality. Workmanship? Tone? Playability? All traits that cannot be identified visually (although some elements of workmanship might be visible).

5. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Looks like ALL PLY. Could be a good first DB, IF setup correctly.

6. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    From the photos it looks like an "Eberle" or "Knilling". One factory makes them, and many different importers put their own name inside. The outside linings, flush with the edge, are a giveaway. If I'm correct about the make, this is not a bad instrument. It looks fairly new.

However, it does look like a plywood top; are you sure it is hybrid? You are buying this online? Is the fingerboard ebony? How much is the seller asking? Can you get more photos, especially of the neck heel and scroll? Buying online can be a crapshoot.

7. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Just curious: What are you looking for if you want to tell what the quality of an instrument by simply look at the heel and scroll? Beyond the obvious that the neck isn't bolted/nailed or in pieces. Thanks.

8. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Heel: for any breaks and repairs.
    Scroll: also for any breaks, and on older instruments, the machines/pegbox can help date/identify the instrument.

These are >>additional<< photos that I would want, along with front, back, both sides, and endpin photos. I've seen basses sell online that wouldn't/couldn't sell in person. The more photos the better!

9. Dudie

Dudie

Apr 26, 2004
    Sweden
    Thanks. :)

It said to be a solid spruce top. How can you tell that it "looks like all plywood" ?

There was no more photos available but im going to try the bass this weekend. He wants 2000 USD (In Sweden) for it, with mic and new softcase

10. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Well, the glossy new-car shine on the top gives it a plywood-top look. I'm probably wrong; if the seller says it is solid, then so be it. It is difficult to tell from just two photos...

11. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    Looks exactly like an Eberle which was made at the Musima factory in the old East Germany. Might be 15 years old or as was said if it led a sheltered life could be older. And yes .. even with the varnish .. looks to be a carved top.

12. Dudie

Dudie

Apr 26, 2004
    Sweden
    I`ve bought the bass :D It sounds just great and yes... it`s a carved top. On the side of the endpin there is a small mark in "gold" with: made in german democratic republic. My small research indicates that it´s possible a Musima Eberle (Thanks Green and nicklloyd). Is that a good bass?
    I`ve bought it for 1800 USD with new strings, new (thick and nice) gigbag, shadow mic and a nice setup. Do you think it was a good price?

Thanks for all answers

13. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    I think it is a good price. The ad at the top of the page advertising "European Double Basses" sells Eberle basses. He charges 2,495 for a fully carved one and he has very good prices. For 2,495 US you get the bass, no gigbag, no setup, and no pickup. You have probably $800 in accessories and setup (if your bass plays well). Your bass has also been played so the sound has probably opened up. So I figure you scored $3,295 worth of bass for $1,800. Do you think you made a good deal? If you are happy with the bass and the sound you made a great deal. Enjoy!

az

14. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    Actually, for the record I do provide a basic set up with all the basses I sell unless you specifiy otherwise. However, I also suggest that since you're saving so much money, why not take your bass to someone like David Gage (if you're in my area) for a great set up. Makes all the difference in the world. Finally, before I sold them al, my Eberle hybrids were $1500 ... so I'd say given the condition of the bass and assuming you liked the way it sounded it was a great deal.

15. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Congrat for your new doublebabe. Good price. No rush, but you may want to have installed a patch inside the back under the sound post, as this is a known weak point of these instruments. What you're gonna do with it ? (teacher ?, bow ?) Fill up your profile, there are other TBers in Sweden, you may want to get in touch with them and vice versa.

16. Dudie

Dudie

Apr 26, 2004
    Sweden
    Thanks again for the all the answers! This is a wonderful forum :)

I looked at eberle photos on the web and my bass looks exactly like an Eberle. But.. Im a little bit hesitant. When i compared the backs and sides of my bass and the one the web-photo, my bass got (hard to expain in english) wood-flames... (do you know what i mean? :confused: ) on the back and side and the Eberle dont.

Eberle back:
    http://bassesonline.com/eberle2.html
    My look a like:
    http://bassesonline.com/special9.html

Can it still be an Eberle hybrid?

And yes i like my new doublebabe. But my girlfriend is a little bit jealous :meh:

17. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    Both basses you see on my site were shipped from Musima in East Germany. Yes, one was marked with the name "Gerhard Reinal" while the others are all with the "W Eberle" name. Is there a difference? Yes, there are some differences. How and why did this happen? I'm not sure but it could be as simple as the factory along with an importer wanted to try to market a different name OR as had happened many times with my late father and the different factories he was dealing with either in Czechloslavakia or Romania or East Germany - he would often buy better wood elsewhere and have it shipped to a factory in one of the above three countries to use making basses he would then buy from them. Remember this went on for decades (early 60's - late 80's) so I know many many Czech and E German basses that are out there are a result of this sort of thing. Your bass could very well be one of them.

Steve

18. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Alright, it's an Eberle/Knilling/Musima hybrid with nicely flamed ply back. Learn to play it and, on behalf of TalkBass, be nice to your girlfriend. Now you go practice :) ...

19. Dudie

Dudie

Apr 26, 2004
    Sweden
    Hehe...Musima it is...
    .... and now i will practice.

:bassist: