Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Murtz, Jul 30, 2001.

1. Murtz

Murtz

Jun 27, 2001
    Iv been looking around for a new bass for a few weeks now and iv tryed the Fender American P-bass delux and the Vintage 75 Jazz bass whice one would u choose? i play blatantly everything

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i love the sound of the p but i personally prefer the neck of the j. i suggest you to hear the sound and feel the neck. so you can choose right. another thing i suggest you to do is play the bass standing with the strap. check the weight, some fenders are very heavy and this is no good for me, not because i'm weak, but because IMO the woods are not the best when so heavy! if the j is not really heavy i prefer that, otherwise i'll buy the p. good luck and let us know!

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Out of the ones that you mentioned, I would prefer the Jazz, because it offers more tonal flexibility, and the neck has is more playable.

But my hands and my ears are not yours. Try to play them side by side and decide which one is right for you.

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I would go for the most versatile, tone-wise -- on condition that the ergonomics fit me. Which is why I would probably end up with something else, because of Fenders heavy necks.
    (And because I never favour the big guy, unless he's perfectly right)

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm not much for a straight jazz, or a bass with 2 pups, and one of them being a humbucker... if there's a humbucker on a bass, i think it should be the only pickup, and only one of them.

I honestly like p/j's best, so I think you should check out the Hot Rodded American p. That one sounds incredible, I think. :p

6. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    P vs J is always a matter of personal taste. I prefer Precisions, especially humbucking ones like you mentioned.

But just play both, you'll find one to your liking.