What bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davygravy3, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    I am getting a new bass my 2 year old squier aint cutting it anymore. I've been looking into the American Standard Fender pbass but it is a little to much. The next option is some sort of ibanez or the new classic series fender jazz bass. I'd really like a fender and that bass but for me and my parents it is a lil much. Any other recommendations? on wat bass and wat to do?
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Could you give us a price range? that would help in the advice giving process.
  3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Why is your Squier not cutting it anymore? Is it entirely out-of-the-question to upgrade the bass you already have? I upgraded my MIM's pickups, bridge and hardware since buying it in '95. I would think the same could be done to your Squier, giving you a "new" bass and saving you and your parents some green at the same time.
  4. Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    Well i would say 500-750 mainly. The squier is falling apart. The pick guard rises up the screws have sometimes Fallen out. Then electronics are messed and it decides to short out sometimes and not make a sound.
  5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    If you're jonesing for an American standard P but don't have the duckets, look at an MIM.
  6. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    One word:

Used MIA Fenders should be by that price range. A good value.

However, in the new category for Fenders, yesterday I played a Geddy Lee Fender Jazz, MIJ, that was real nice. I guess normally they cost around $600, but I found a "cosmetic second" which looks fine, for something like $450. I also saw a "Zone Bass" by Fender for maybe $500 or so, MIM, with a P/J pup configuration. Didn't get a chance to play it however. So yeah, thats all I have to say...
  7. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    You can get a new American P bass for $850 or less. Just talk your parents into it a little...
  8. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Yeah thats what Id probably do. If you want new the Deluxe Active Jazz or the Deluxe P-bass is in your price range.
  9. Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    does anyone know anything about the classic series jazz bass? it is very new. They I hear will run about 600ish. My teacher thought the just plain mim is not made like it used to be made. and this bass has got to last forever and it may be my only next bass so thats why i was thinking something really nice.
  10. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Some of those Carvin basses are nice :)