what bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stu hamm rules!, May 31, 2002.

1. ESP 205

6 vote(s)
  2. Musicman Stingray5

31 vote(s)
  3. Fender P-bass

10 vote(s)
  4. BC Rich Beast

4 vote(s)
  5. Jackson KBX

2 vote(s)
  6. Ibanez BLB

3 vote(s)
  1. what do you think of the following:

ESP 205
    Musicman Stingray5
    Fender P-bass (5 string)
    BC Rich Beast (5 string)
    Jackson KBX (5 string)
    Ibanez BTB (6 string)
  2. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    what for dude ??
    What kind of music do you play ?
    What tone do you look for ?
  3. Hey Stu Hamm, welcome to Talkbass. I haven't played all the basses you've listed, but, to me it's very hard to beat a Stingray 5. Is there something specific you want to know about any of them?

I think the Ibanez you're asking about is the BTB.
    You can go into your original post and edit it.

Good to have you aboard.
    Mike J.
  4. (as you can see from my name) I like stu hamms music, that kind of style. However i mainly like metal, not nu metal but heavy metal (iron maiden, judas priest, black sabbath) Thrash metal (slayer, megadeth, metallica) Death metal (cannibal corpse, deicide, vader) black metal (dimmu borgir, children of bodom, emperor). I think you get the idea.

i want a bass that is quite versatile, i like slapping, tapping,finger picking and shredding! that's why i was interested in 6 strings.

I'm lookign at possibly £400-£500, that's about $600 - $700 for most of you, maybe a bit more.

do you know if bc riches play nicely? or are they all about the shape and no quality?
  5. EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    I'd say go with an Ibanez 5 string. Being a metal bassist you aren't going to need that high C(IMO) Umm, icks, by reading the poll you would notice he says (for metal). BC Rich actually has some contemporary styled basses now. I would think those would be of some value. If not, the ESP would do just fine for Metal.

P.S. Metallica hasn't been Thrash Metal since Kill 'Em All (Circa 1984)
  6. from that very limited list i would go for the ESP 205...

Fender P-bass 5 string ? since when do they make those ? the idea seems nice tho.. this would certainly go up for 2nd place.

I've experienced the BTB.. was nice, but nothing special..
    stingray ? [​IMG]

BCrich + jackson ? [​IMG]
  7. ok, i'm not sure about p-bass 5 string, what is this model (see picture)

what bass would you recommend not from this list?
  8. in that price-range ?

hmm.. lets see..

Cort 3535
    Lakland skyline
    MTD kingston

either one of these i suppose..
  9. Ellefson's is probably Custom Shop Fender, but Fender does in fact make a 5-string P-bass. IT's like $1200 or something, but apparently a very nice bass.
  10. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I'd say the best bet is Ibanez BTB.

I would say MTD Kingston - which rocks - but I don't know if they can be had for £500 in Europe. The stores in Finland are asking around £600 or €1000 for the five-string version.

How about Esh, from Germany? I think atleast www.musik-produktiv.de sells their Hero-model for under £500. Type O Negative's Steele uses their basses!

Also, as used Warwick Corvettes and American (or Japanese!) Fenders should be in that range.
  11. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I will have to go with the Ray5. I love mine. :)
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    All of those basses are seriously nice pieces of hardware for not a whole lot of dough, the MTD in particular.
  13. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    Stingray5 would be the best bass on the list . You could go with a Fender P-Deluxe which comes in a
    5 string
  14. Ray 5. You really couldn't go wrong with one.
  15. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Except that they're ugly as sin (ie. they have pickguards) ;)

Get the bass that screams "metal". Get the Beast.